Veteran certification program expands

ASU is reaching out to veterans and government employees in new initiatives to expand its Certified Public Manager program, which prepares veterans for civilian administrative jobs.

The Bob Ramsey Executive Education Program is the first of its kind to receive approval from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to allow veterans to use their benefits to pay for the courses.

ASU Program Coordinator Sally Manatt said programs like this that only offer certificates, not degrees, are typically not funded by the VA.

“There are a lot of students out there that are veterans,” she said. “A lot of them may be headed to government work and this really helps them.”

Manatt said the program provides education about the roles of administrative jobs in the public sector.

Those who complete the program tend to take positions as police or fire chiefs, city managers, or jobs in state and federal agencies, she said.

Parrish Spisz, a Marine Corps. veteran and assistant to the Goodyear City Council, said the program helps veterans make the transition to

leadership roles in civilian life.

“Coming back into the civilian world, things just operate differently,” said Spisz, who completed the program in 2007. “You still have your chain of command ... but it’s really just a completely different environment.”

Spisz, said the program accelerates a successful transition to civilian life by providing networking opportunities and practical knowledge of administrative government.

“This program really strives to give you the practical hands on tools to be successful in government,” he said. “When you come out of a military environment, you’re limited. Now you’re coming into a different side of government and you’re continuing in that career path.”

Spisz said the program helped him perform his role as the assistant to the Goodyear City Council members because he learned the practical skills needed to advance policies and agendas and perform research and analysis of city programs.

“It’s a credential that enhances your administrative management qualifications,” he said.

Linda Hess, the executive assistant to the director of the Executive Education program and a current student, said the courses offer a diverse mix of professors and students from several state agencies.

“They’re building networks across the state,” she said.

Hess, who will complete her final course of the program this year, said the program works to inform veterans of their options after serving the country.

She said anyone with military training qualifies for the benefits through the VA.

“We’re trying to reach out to them and let them know what’s available,” she said.

Reach the reporter at adam.sneed@asu.edu.

×