USG presidency candidates announce bids: James Alling

032409-alling

Year and Major: Bioengineering junior

Running Mates: R.C. Thornton (Policy) and Alexa Kissinger (Services)

Why are you running for office?

I want to make sure students get maximum value out of their student government and the student fee by providing them with relevant, efficiently run services and results-driven

advocacy.

What experience qualifies you for the position?

James Alling has served on the USG Senate since his freshman year at ASU. He has also served as a student vote on the ASU Public Safety Advisory Committee. During his time on the Senate, James has advocated to multiple members of the Arizona State Legislature and Arizona Board of Regents. In that advocacy, he has successfully lowered proposed increases to the cost of education, both in the University technology fee and the engineering fee. James represents the inside experience of USG but the outside opinion about its priorities.

What do you think is the most important issue of the election?

Change in USG that brings about usable, reliable services and results in advocacy. Students want services that they can use and count on as well as advocacy that makes a difference at the state and university level.

Why should ASU students elect you?

I recognize that USG needs to do a better job at translating student-fee revenue into something that matters to them. In services, I will guarantee that programs USG provides have the resources and financial support necessary to service ASU’s population. In advocacy, I’ll make sure our administrators and state officials know that students are worth it. I’m the only candidate who has successfully lowered the dollar amount of a proposed fee at ASU. I did it twice. I worked to reduce the University technology fee and the engineering fee, and I succeeded. I’ve saved the students who I currently represent $500,000 and ASU undergrads close to $2 million.

What is the No. 1 change you want to see on campus?

Less wasting of your money by ASU. No more projects like the multimillion dollar Pringles (shade structures) north of the Memorial Union. Students are in a hard economic time; the money we spend on college should go to increasing our chances of getting jobs in the future. That’s why we’re here, and there are people in position who need to understand that. I’m going to articulate that to them.

How does the University’s current economic state affect your plans if elected?

The universities’ economic concerns are very relevant, but the job of the student president is to make sure that decision makers have an understanding of the economic state students are in. I will commit resources, time and staff to make sure that an understanding of the university’s economic position helps me advocate for student concerns about their cost of education and increase my chances of producing results.

×