Times are tough. With less money for shoe shopping and video game expenditures, and more eating at home versus going out to restaurants, who really wants to spend more than ten dollars on a bottle of wine? There's plenty of quality picks that can impress a date and actually taste decent. No need to stoop to buying wine that comes packaged in a box, these cheap options ensure class.

"What a wine drinker should drink and buy is something they enjoy, not something highly rated or priced," says Jay Wisniewski, owner and general manager of Caffe Boa on Mill. "The best thing is, if you hate the wine, at $10 bucks or less it still makes a great cooking wine," says Wisniewski.

Wisniewski knows wine. He's a certified, level-two sommelier and has owned and operated Caffe Boa, predominantly a wine bar, for 15 years. All wines are retail priced from AZ Wine Company, not far from Arizona State at 2515 N. Scottsdale Rd, suite # 15. "They were great help for pricing and all the bottles are in stock," Wisniewski says. These picks can also be ordered online, just Google them.

2007 Bitch Grenache $9.99-

A great name for this 100% Grenache from the Barossa Valley in South Australia. The wine has perfumed ripe, juicy red fruits that complement a lifted spicy note that "make you forget life can be a bitch," Wisniewski says. Sip with meats and fruits.

NV Cristalino Cava $7.99-

This bubbly is perfect for any occasion. Buy cases of this and live the champagne lifestyle without paying the price. "Celebrate spring break, a good exam score, finally getting that date you've been after," Wisniewski says.

Aveleda Vinho Verde Non Vintage $6.99-

This is a perfect hot-weather wine that received an 88-point rating from Wine Spectator. It's a light, slightly sparkling white wine with zesty notes of melon, nectarine and white peaches. "This one delivers perfect for on the patio or poolside — day-drinking beauty," Wisniewsky says.

2005 Avalon Napa Cabernet $11.99-

This cabernet has a touch of syrah, which adds some blue and plum nuances to complement dark cherry and black raspberry flavors. "Perfect for grilled meats or burgers," Wisniewsky says.

2006 Di Majo Norante Sangiovese $7.99-

Wisniewsky says this wine is a perfect pairing for pasta with red sauce. This Chianti grape offers strawberry aromas, damp earth, spice box and fruit cake.

2007 Bodegas Castano Monastrell $7.99-

"[Prominent U.S. wine critic] Robert Parker rated this wine 90-points. It's an absolute steal at this price," Wisniewsky says. It's 100 percent Monastrell grape that has intense black plum flavor with some cranberries and red currant notes. It's a fresh and fruity wine with many layers of flavor.

Reach the reporter at michelle.masek@asu.edu.

×