West candidate back on ballot after review of constitution

The presidential race at the West campus will continue after the student government reached a compromise Monday.

Behavioral science junior Gary Galvan was placed back on the ballot after the Associated Students of Arizona State University at the West campus discussed discrepancies in the organization’s structure and constitution.

The student supreme court removed Galvan from the ballot on Thursday on charges of violating election rules during his campaign. In protest of the ruling, some members of the student senate moved to impeach the justices on Friday to reinstate Galvan, claiming the ruling was unconstitutional.

After ASASUW President Ryan Caracciolo released a statement on Sunday saying that the senate had made a mistake in reinstating Galvan as a West campus candidate, the student government met Monday to clarify their constitution and formally reinstate Galvan.

“Through further review, we realized our constitution was pretty vague, and it had to be reformed,” Caracciolo said.

The government is acting to better serve the student body, he said.

“We are redefining the code for the next year and the next election,” Caracciolo said.

Both Galvan and his opponent, history junior Andrew Clark, reached a compromise that allowed for both candidates to run a fair and competitive campaign.

“I’m glad that we reached this point,” Galvan said. “I compromised and want to do what the students want us to do. It’s all about what we need to do for the students.”

Clark said that although some parts of the compromise were a little difficult to deal with, he agrees that it is in the organization’s best interest to serve the students, move in a positive direction for the coming year and clarify any confusion in the bylaws and constitution of

ASASUW.

“I’m willing to give up my own self-interest and do what’s best for the student,” Clark said.

Student senator and criminal justice junior Everett Lively played a key role in making sure ASASUW reached a positive compromise.

“We showed … our ability to come together as a cohesive unit,” Lively said.

He added that in getting both parties to talk and settle their differences, the organization could now move in a more positive and clear-cut direction.

“I think that it shows that we are coming together,” he said.

The election has been extended until Friday to give both candidates some

additional time to campaign.

Reach the reporter at luis.c.lopez@asu.edu.

×