Boo with a Vue. The party atmosphere of The Vue off-campus luxury apartments led to around 90 people getting arrested this weekend. The complex is not a dry facility, and of course, not all students living there are underage, but many students arrested were cited for inappropriate alcohol usage. The staff at The Vue sent out an e-mail to tenants outlining policies, but also asked to “please … not call the police” over noise complaints, saying that vue administration “will be able to respond more efficiently.” It seems as though the staff is helping to contribute to the no-authority mentality. How this is helpful in terms of University academics, we just can’t figure out. We realize that ASU was recently named as the top university for booty calls by OnlineBootyCall.com, but a Girls Gone Wild atmosphere isn’t what the University or university life should ultimately be about.

Boo to the “fan can” beer ban. No longer can students purchase maroon-and-gold colored Bud Light cans. Anheuser-Busch recently pulled the college beer cans off the shelves because of worries that it may encourage underage drinking. University representatives also voiced their concern over the issue, although the cans don’t actually use ASU logos. Does a can with school spirit really have the power to increase drinking? If the cans were marketed to high schools, we’d certainly take issue. But a large number of ASU students are over 21, and just because it’s maroon and gold doesn’t mean liquor stores can card less. ASU logos are all over shot glasses and beer mugs — isn’t that just as bad? We’re just not seeing the logic behind this move.

Bravo to Labor Day. School may have been in session for only two weeks now, but we are definitely feeling the labor pains. Already we’re up to our ears in work and the pressure is starting to get to us. It is high time for a break. Not only do we get to take Monday off from classes, but forecasters are also promising cooler weather for the weekend, too. That’s right, the high is set for 95 degrees on Saturday — we may just have to bust out a sweater while we’re lounging by the pool, sipping the last of our ASU beer and enjoying the long weekend. We’ll just be sure not to be at The Vue.

Bravo that college football season is officially upon us. Saturday presents a variety of intriguing opening weekend matchups including No. 5 Alabama versus No. 7 Virginia Tech, No. 13 Georgia versus No. 9 Oklahoma State and No. 20 BYU versus No. 3 Oklahoma. But, of course, we are most excited to see our Sun Devils take to the field for the first time this season. ASU is looking to erase last year’s disappointing 5-7 season, and facing one of the worst teams in the Football Championship Subdivision should be a good start.

×