SPM Acoustics: Ezra Furman in the Secret Garden

It wasn't until Ezra Furman was right in front of us, performing for our small crew in the Secret Garden, that we finally realized who the young musician reminded us of. "Dylan!" I mouthed to Erica Rodriguez (who you'll see in the interview below) during Furman's sweet, sad "Gimme Some Sugar."

Like a young Bob Dylan, Furman is refreshing and simplistic, yet often seems otherworldly. His voice is clear and vulnerable, and his lyrics ricochet between haunting and humorous. His full band, Ezra Furman and the Harpoons, released a new album, Moon Face, this October. Moon Face is a compilation of ten formerly recorded but unreleased tracks, plus one personal song. For each order made, the band records a totally unique track for the customer. It's pretty much unheard of in the music industry, yet makes perfect sense for a band whose mission is to make each performance a personal experience.

The Ezra Furman and the Harpoons fall tour was presented by Daytrotter Sessions, with whom the band has already done two sessions. They'll be on tour through the rest of November.

Video: Chelsea Ryan, Becca Bever Interview: Erica Rodriguez Photos: Peter Lazaravich Story: Jessica Testa

×