Tempe Music Fest canceled

MusicFest_2
BREAKING TRADITION: For the past seven years, the Tempe Music Festival has been held annually at Tempe Beach Park. But due to multiple scheduling conflicts, the Tempe Music Festival will not happen this year. (Photo by Nikolai de Vera)

Originally scheduled for April 9 and 10, The Circle K Tempe Music Festival has been canceled this year because none of the potential headliners agreed to perform.

Over the years, acts like John Mayer, Kid Rock, Fergie, All American Rejects and 3 Doors Down have headlined the show. This is the first year since 2003 that the annual Tempe Beach Park event will not be held. The event is postponed until 2011.

Ken Koziol, producer and co-founder of the event, said he is disappointed he was forced to cancel the festival this year.

“Basically we could not find suitable and adequate talent at the level we’ve done in the past,” he said.

In October, event planners began working to secure “headline talent” but were repeatedly turned down, Koziol said.

“We had talked to at least 40 potential headliners that ranged from Pink to ZZ Top,” he said. “When you try to do this, you start with the headliners and work your way down.”

Alex Herman, a political science senior, has played the festival three times with his former band, The Nudniks.

“At Tempe Music Fest, you could stay at one stage and listen to Lit, a Led Zeppelin tribute band, a local bluegrass group and some 9-year-old kid who could tear up any Van Halen solo — all within three hours,” he said.

But when he heard the festival was canceled, Herman said he wasn’t too disappointed.

“I’m indifferent because I never felt it was a real festival,” he said. “[The festival] had potential to be a big music festival, yet after seven years of consistent lackluster production, that never happened.”

Adam Traister, a former ASU student who also played in The Nudniks, said the bands and festival food were his favorite part of the Tempe Music Festival.

“I’m really open-minded when it comes to music. I like bands in every genre, as long as they are talented, original, and enjoyable to listen to,” he said.

Traister said his least favorite part of the festival was watching bands he didn’t like.

“I’m a little bummed that the festival didn’t develop into something bigger, but I was never thrilled by who was playing anyway. I guess I’m not too disappointed [that it was canceled],” he said.

Koziol said he wanted to maintain the event’s integrity by not hiring B-list acts.

“We had a lot of acts on hold. With that engine driving the train, it wouldn’t have worked,” he said.

Many local bands, food vendors and sponsors are affected by the postponement, he said.

Koziol encouraged ASU students and other Valley residents to attend the event when it returns next year.

“We’re sorry we couldn’t give them a weekend of fun and frolic,” he said. “For those who aren’t graduating or leaving next year, you should stick around — April 1 and 2, 2011, we’ll be back.”

Reach the reporter at mmbarke1@asu.edu

×