Track teams split as indoor season winds down

Track_2
(Photo by Kyle Thompson)

A small contingent of the ASU track and field team will compete Friday at the NAU Tune-Up in Flagstaff, the last chance for many to hit a provisional qualifying mark for the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Other Sun Devils will be competing on their home surface for the Diablo Relays, an all-comers meet for all ages, Saturday at Sun Angel Stadium.

ASU coach Greg Kraft said the long jumpers, pole vaulters and freshman thrower Jordan Clarke will compete at NAU, where they will try to qualify and move up the ranks of provisional qualifiers.

“We’d like to get Jordan Clarke up the list,” Kraft said. “We also want to get our two freshman long jumpers [Christabel Nettey and Constance Ezugha] up the list.”

Various athletes know this is their last chance to make an impact on the coaches as the indoor season winds down.

ASU sophomore Jamie Sandys, who will compete in the heptathlon once outdoor season begins, is confident he will perform well despite the pressure.

“I’m hoping to get some big marks since this is a last chance to make an impression,” Sandys said. “There is a lot of motivation, you have to do well or it’s the end of your indoor season.”

Some Sun Devils have competed in Flagstaff for five straight weeks, so they have a familiarity with NAU.

“By the fifth week, you feel like you have done this before,” Sandys said.

ASU senior pole vaulter Lisa Navarro also agreed that the athletes are familiar with the facilities at NAU.

“I’m getting comfortable jumping there,” Navarro said. “You know the atmosphere going in.”

For the athletes who will be competing indoors for the last time, Kraft hopes they build confidence they can carry over to the outdoor season.

“Hopefully, our pole vault group will come away from the indoor season with lifetime bests,” he said.

Meanwhile, a “very mixed bag” of athletes will be competing at the Diablo Relays, Kraft said.

The first-time meet is open to all ages, and some ASU athletes will be competing unattached.

Kraft said it’s a great chance for some athletes, such as the javelin throwers, to get outdoor experience,while also hosting family and friends.

“For kids that don’t get a chance to compete indoors, they need to be ready,” Kraft said. “It’s a chance for families to watch, but also gives the athletes a competitive opportunity.”

But don’t expect the athletes to take it easy on the weaker competition.

“We’re always looking to have fun,” Kraft chuckled. “But our idea of fun is winning.”

Reach the reporter at elsmith8@asu.edu

×