Whiting heaves world-leading shot put mark at ASU Invitational

SHE'S SAFE: ASU junior catcher Lacy Goodman slides across home plate in the Sun Devils’ win against Rutgers last month. The Sun Devils swept Cal Poly over the weekend. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

The sprinting showdown between ASU and Texas A&M failed to happen at the ASU Invitational this past weekend, but one Sun Devil made sure there was still plenty of excitement. ASU senior thrower Ryan Whiting is now the current world leader in the shot put after taking first at the meet with a toss of 21.25 meters (69-08.750 feet) on Saturday night.

Whiting also threw well in the discus, finishing third with a throw of 53.15 meters (174-04 feet).

“It’s so easy to take him for granted, but every accolade has been well-deserved,” ASU coach Greg Kraft said. “He’s in such a groove in the shot [put]. It’s just amazing what he’s able to do.”

Whiting wasn’t the only Sun Devil thrower to have a successful weekend at Sun Angel Stadium.

Senior thrower Jason Lewis opened his outdoor season with two victories, the first coming Friday afternoon in the hammer throw with a mark of 66.15 meters (217-00 feet). Lewis notched another victory on Saturday, winning the discus with a throw of 56.24 meters (184-06 feet).

Kraft said he was impressed with Lewis’ mental toughness in dealing with tough weather conditions.

“He beat some really good discus throwers in a difficult wind,” Kraft said. “Jason is such a student of the sport, and it just is impressive.”

The highly-anticipated matchup in the men’s 400-meter dash never played out on Saturday, as ASU seniors Joel Phillip and Donald Sanford were bitten by the injury bug and didn’t compete.

Phillip rolled his ankle while warming up for the race and was walking gingerly for the rest of the night. Sanford tweaked his hamstring during a midweek practice and didn’t feel 100 percent either.

Sophomores Allante Battle and John Kline filled in on the 4x400 meter relay team.

Kraft said neither injury is serious and that both seniors should be ready for the Sun Angel Classic in two weeks.

A few women were also victorious for the Sun Devils over the weekend.

ASU junior sprinter/hurdler Jasmine Chaney took first in the 100-meter hurdles in 13.50 seconds. Freshman Christabel Nettey placed fourth in 13.73 seconds.

Cherise McNair, a junior distance runner for the Sun Devils, won the 3,000-meter steeplechase in 10:52.85. ASU senior Chelsea Caloia placed second and freshman Karlee Owens finished fourth.

Kraft said he liked the performance of his entire team this weekend, but he especially praised both the men’s and women’s middle-distance groups for their efforts.

“Collectively, it was a solid showing for us,” Kraft said. “But both mid-distance groups had solid weekends.”

Kraft said he was pleased with junior Zeke Van Patten and his strong finish in the men’s 1,500-meter race. Van Patten was the first collegiate runner to finish, ending with a time of 3:48.10

In the women’s 1,500-meter race, three Sun Devils placed second through fourth, respectively, but were the first trio of collegiate athletes to cross the finish line. Junior Anna Sperry finished with a time of 4:26.75, while seniors Allie Kieffer and Ali Kielty were just seconds behind.

The Sun Devils will send five multi-event athletes to the Jim Click Shootout Thursday and Friday. Three men will compete in the decathlon, and two women are slated for the heptathlon.

Reach the reporter at eric.l.smith@asu.edu

×