Graduate taking lessons learned at ASU to Afghanistan

Like countless other servicemen and women, one ASU graduate and U.S. Army captain is doing his part in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan.

Capt. Lee Beaudette, a 2006 accounting graduate stationed in the Afghan mountains for a one-year deployment, said his education at ASU played a big role in preparing him for his duties overseas.

Beaudette graduated from the W. P. Carey School for Business and said it helped him learn skills he applied in the military.

“From a business perspective, the W. P. Carey school teaches you team building,” Beaudette said. “That’s what the Army is all about.”

Beaudette’s company is attempting to build a rapport with the Afghan locals to help them become more reliant on their government, he said in an interview by a satellite phone from Afghanistan.

“My job is to plan all the operations and monitor them as they go out,” he said. “I work really closely with the locals and Afghan forces on a day-to-day basis.”

While he hasn’t used his accounting knowledge in Afghanistan, Beaudette said business models in general are used frequently.

Beaudette said he misses the sunshine in the Valley, but at the same time he loves his work in Afghanistan. From ASU, he misses going to class.

“I just love the learning environment,” he said. “I’d love to come back to ASU and to be around all the different cultures.”

Beaudette said he plans to pursue a master’s degree.

“I’ll be honest, I loved ASU,” he said.

For students who are currently in the military, Beaudette said going to school is as important as training.

“Learn as much as you can,” he said. “Enjoy your experiences as much as you can while you’re at school.”

Getting a firsthand experience in Afghanistan and being able to see the impact soldiers make when working with locals and kids is hard to do in the U.S., Beaudette said.

Beaudette said he wants people to know that the military is improving the situation in Afghanistan.

“We’re making a huge difference and impact,” he said. “It’s hard to see that in the States when you’re surrounded by all your entertainment, sports and friends.”

1st Lt. Joseph Wingard, a spokesman for the United States Air Force, works with Beaudette and also stressed the importance of education.

“Keep your grades up and work hard in school,” he said.

The military takes students’ GPA’s and overall performance very seriously, Wingard said.

For members of the military on campus, there are multiple services designed to cater to veterans’ needs.

Chris Manning, an education junior, is a member of the Arizona National Guard and was deployed to Afghanistan in March 2007 for one year.

“We have started a Veterans Club on campus this semester,” he said.

The club is intended for any veteran or dependent of a veteran, Manning said.

“Our goal is to be an advocate for veterans on campus, act as a social network, and would like to host events to raise funds for organizations that help veterans,” he said.

Reach the reporter at mmbarke1@asu.edu

×