Johnson ready to put it all together

EARNING A SPOT: Sophomore safety Keelan Johnson (third from right in distance) has improved greatly since his freshman year and is aiming to star in a starting role after the graduation of Ryan McFoy and Jarrell Holman. (Photo by Kyle Thompson)

Even for a freshman, Keelan Johnson was a bit of an enigma. The safety, now a sophomore, was one of the most impressive players in preseason practice last summer with his range and athleticism.

But Johnson was unable to grab hold of a starting position for any extended period. His inexperience and lack of focus both factored in his lack of playing time.

Following the graduation of safeties Ryan McFoy and Jarrell Holman, Johnson knows his time is now.

“There was a spot that needed to be taken,” Johnson said. “We have a lot of young safeties coming in, and I think it is my time to shine.”

While the Sun Devils were one of the top units in the country last year defensively, their one significant downfall was in the secondary, where big plays hurt them in many close contests throughout the season.

With former safeties coach Matt Lubick gone to Duke, defensive coordinator Craig Bray has had a chance to focus on the safety position — his specialty.

Through a week of spring practice, Johnson looks much improved from last season, in large part due to the video and on-field analysis Bray has provided.

“Coach Bray has been helping me correct things from last year,” Johnson said. “Bray takes time and he is giving us our receiver reads and keys, and we are just taking time reading plays.”

Johnson said he hopes he can turn the study into quick reaction times.

“I think I am better at reading and diagnosing plays than last year,” Johnson said. “Last year I just got into a backpedal. This year, I am sitting and reading and getting into plays.”

Erickson was impressed with the play of the safeties in Saturday’s scrimmage.

“A lot of people thought safety would be a weakness,” Erickson said. “Run support-wise, the speed of the guys that are applying back there, how they tackled … I don’t know if we got that last year. That’s what Bray does best. Putting him back there has helped. He understands what he wants.”

When Erickson was asked if Johnson’s potential was “sky high,” if he could put together the mental with physical, he said “yes”.

“He is such an athlete and so explosive and he hits you,” Erickson said. “He is a 10.6 [second] 100-meter guy and if he gets the mental aspect … physically he has all the tools.”

Quick hits

— Erickson, much like most onlookers, was most impressed with the defense after the first scrimmage

“We can’t compare it to anything yet until we start playing, but we have a chance to be one of the better teams I have had defensively if we stay healthy.” Erickson said. “Our goal is to be the best defense in the country. “

— Erickson said he was pleased with how the offensive line protected on Saturday.

— ASU focused on punting and special teams Tuesday, and where the Sun Devils suffered from major game-changing gaffes last season, including a blocked punt allowed against UA.

Reach the reporter at nruland@asu.edu

×