An undefeated NFL season is such a tease

The ‘70s were a different, more mustache filled time for the NFL.

It was also the only time a team has finished an entire season without a loss—The 1972 Miami Dolphins.

These days it feels like an enigma.

Every year one or two teams show flashes of brilliance and get commentators all hyped up on the possibilities, but go on to lose late in the season.

Similar to discussions about horse racing’s Triple Crown (which last occurred in 1978), an undefeated season in the NFL is difficult to fathom in today’s game.

But that doesn’t stop us from fantasizing about the possibility.

The Baltimore Ravens

Is there another man on the planet more fun to watch or listen to then Ray Lewis?

His presence on the field alone has carried this team to 10 wins in the past, and to a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer as the starting quarterback.

They just beat up the Jets in the season opener and it looks like they could do that every week.

With it possibly being a down year for the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Ravens should own the AFC North (I don’t buy into Cincinnati just yet).

Baltimore also features a middle-of-the pack strength of schedule, and only one tough opponent (New England) before its week eight bye.

If Joe Flacco, Ray Rice, and Anquan Boldin take this offense to the next level, look for purple in the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl Odds: 7/1

Undefeated Odds: 40/1

New England Patriots

This is the team everyone loves to hate, and even Tom Brady’s Justin Bieber haircut added fuel to the fire, but at the same time this is the only team that has come anywhere close to finishing undefeated.

An 18-1 record in 2007-2008 is amazing, and if Mr. Brady can return the offense to what it was before his knee injury this team could pull it off.

The biggest obstacle: a division with the New York Jets, Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills.

The schedule starts with the Jets, Dolphins, Ravens, San Diego Chargers and Minnesota Vikings through the first eight weeks.

Then they have a second go-around against teams in their division.

If they stay healthy and figure out how to deal with Randy Moss, this team has the most composure to put up a bagel in the loss column.

Super Bowl Odds: 10/1

Undefeated Odds: 50/1

New Orleans Saints

Follow it up with the team that is terribly difficult to hate … I can’t even get upset at Drew Brees’ mole anymore.

This team flirted with perfection last season before losing its final three games.

Now they’ve already knocked off Minnesota in week one and play in a division with Carolina, Atlanta and Tampa Bay.

The Saints also have the sixth-weakest schedule in the league, which is a nice advantage for the defending champs.

Factor in a minimal number of losses this offseason and this team has to be the favorite to repeat.

The only scary thought is losing Brees to an injury.

This offense, much like the Cardinals with Warner, can’t function without him.

Super Bowl Odds: 8/1

Undefeated Odds: 30/1

Green Bay Packers

Hype is a key factor here.

Even after losing in the first round of the playoffs last season the Green Bay Packers have been a popular selection to win this year’s Super Bowl.

Then again, it’s tough not to get swept up with this team.

Aaron Rodgers is a top five quarterback and can get this team to score in bunches.

Add the emergence of tight end Jermichael Finley and it possibly has the deepest receiving corps in the league as well.

The victory in Philadelphia was a great statement, but with it came the loss of starting running back Ryan Grant for the rest of the season.

Becoming a one dimensional team makes it difficult to win week in and week out.

A soft schedule and playing in Lambeau Field helps.

After that, watch out for Brett Favre revenge.

Super Bowl Odds: 10/1

Undefeated Odds: 50/1

(Super bowl odds courtesy of vegasinsider.com, undefeated odds courtesy of betus.com)

Reach the reporter at nathan.meacham@asu.edu

×