Downtown Dispatch: Hanny's

Feel chic at Hanny's. Photo by Chelsea Brown.

This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending a birthday dinner for State Press Magazine's own assistant editor, Erica Rodriguez. When Erica told me a few weeks ago that her dinner would be at Hanny's, I was really excited. Hanny's is one of those downtown spots I have heard so much about, but just have never gone to check out.

Located near the corner of First and Adams streets downtown, Hanny's is a swanky bar and restaurant that caters to people of all ages. Hanny's carries an extensive alcohol menu, but also offers a large food menu that would make most other bars in the area green with envy. Some of Hanny's food options include tasty salads, plate-size thin-crust pizza and mouth-watering sandwiches.

While at Hanny's I tasted the Rocket Salad and the margherita pizza, both of which I can say were excellent and very filling.

Hanny's is not only known for their drinks and food, but also for their interior design. Hanny's features two different design elements in the restaurant, the first being its much talked-about bathrooms.

In order to get to the bathroom at Hanny's, you have to take the stairs (or elevator) to the second floor, then walk through a hallway of mirrors, and end up in a circular room that has multiple doors and only one marked men's (ladies, even though it's not posted, you can go in any of the other doors).

The second design element Hanny's is known for is the elevator shaft on the first floor. The elevator shaft has a see-through floor in it so that you can walk into it without plummeting to the bottom. After walking into the shaft room, it's a little freaky as you feel like you're going to fall through the floor, but it's definitely worth a look. I'm also pretty sure there are mirrors at the top and bottom of the shaft, so that when you look up or down you feel like the shaft could go on forever.

Hanny's is open Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 1:30 a.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 5 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. The kitchen closes at 1 a.m.

Next time you're sitting in your dorm or at home and are wondering what to do for the evening, Hanny's is a great place to mingle and get a bite to eat.

Downtown Dispatch is dedicated to all things downtown Phoenix. If you’re looking for a new place to eat, you’ve found your guide. If you’re looking for a new boutique to shop at, I’ve got what you’re looking for. If you just want to find that perfect cup of coffee, I can tell you where to go. Welcome to the blog of Chelsea Brown, a Journalism senior, caffeine addict and self-proclaimed foodie who loves blogging and taking photographs. Reach me at cebrown4@asu.edu.

×