Downtown Dispatch: Hollywood Regency & Zinnias at Melrose

Straight out of Hollywood, in downtown Phoenix. Photo by Chelsea Brown.

While driving around Phoenix last week, and after making a pit-stop at Urban Cookies for one of their caramel apple cupcakes, my boyfriend and I decided to finally venture out to Hollywood Regency, a vintage clothing store in Phoenix that is said to be closing sometime next January.

After finishing up our cupcakes, and putting 724 W. Indian School Rd. into Google Maps, we were on our way. Now I have to say that finding this shop was harder than I thought it would be, as it is slightly hidden. The storefront of Hollywood Regency is off the corner of Indian School Road and 7th Avenue, but the entrance and parking lot for Hollywood Regency is behind the building, where you actually enter through Zinnias at Melrose, a large warehouse style antique mall that features tons of different booths filled with vintage goods.

Anyway, after parking and finally making it into the building, it was too hard to pass up going in and out each aisle in Zinnias first, as there is so much good (and affordable) vintage eye-candy. While there I spotted two beautiful typewriters I desperately wanted to buy, and also a few sweet vintage cameras that I just know can still work.

After looking through Zinnias from top to bottom (there is a super hot upstairs area that houses pretty vintage chairs and other furniture), we made our way into Hollywood Regency and flipped through the women's and men's vintage clothing. For the women, they have amazing Mad Men-esque dress that are all going for super low prices (did I mention that everything in the store is 50 percent off until they close?), and also an array of pretty vintage bags, shoes and jewelry. For the men, they have handsome cardigans, worn-in leather jackets and nice shirts.

If you're looking for something to do this weekend, and have the urge to buy something pretty and vintage, visiting Zinnias and Hollywood Regency is definitely a must.

Zinnias at Melrose is open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you're interested in roaming around Hollywood Regency as well, they are only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Downtown Dispatch is dedicated to all things downtown Phoenix. If you’re looking for a new place to eat, you’ve found your guide. If you’re looking for a new boutique to shop at, I’ve got what you’re looking for. If you just want to find that perfect cup of coffee, I can tell you where to go. Welcome to the blog of Chelsea Brown, a Journalism senior, caffeine addict and self-proclaimed foodie who loves blogging and taking photographs. Reach me at cebrown4@asu.edu.

×