‘Easy A’ is a grade-A comedy

“Easy A” Staring: Emma Stone, Amanda Bynes, Patricia Clarkson, Stanley Tucci Stars: 4 out of 5 Rating: PG-13

Emma Stone is an actress most people probably know better by face rather than name. Her most recognized screen credits include Jules in “Superbad” and Abigail Breslin’s elder sibling in “Zombieland.” While Emma Stone might not necessarily be a household name, I think that’s all going to change with “Easy A.”

Stone plays Olive, an average high school student who is unnoticed by all her fellow peers. I find it hard to believe that Emma Stone would be invisible to all the boys in school, but I suppose it’s no more improbable than Jessica Alba and Jessica Biel being without suitors in “Valentine’s Day.”

To avoid going on a camping trip one weekend with her best friend, played by Alyson Michalka, and her nudist parents, Olive lies about having a date with a college student. This tiny fib leads to another when Olive says she lost her virginity to this nonexistent man. Olive suddenly goes from being a ghost to the most talked about girl on the playground.

With the entire school gossiping about her, Olive confines in her gay friend, played by Dan Byrd, about her fake one-night stand. He pleads with her to pretend to have sex with him so everyone will stop tormenting him about her sexual preferences. Olive reluctantly agrees. After this phony sex stunt Olive’s popularity skyrockets to even greater heights as more helpless virgins seek her out. Deemed as a slut by the school, she is inspired by Nathaniel Hawthorn’s “The Scarlet Letter” to stitch a red “A” onto her clothing.

This premise might sound no more promising than some recent trashy teen comedies like “The Girl Next Door” and “I Love You, Beth Cooper.” But what distinguishes “Easy A” from those movies is it’s refreshing sincerity. Where most high school movies depict teenagers as mean-spirited and driven only by sex, “Easy A” paints a realistic portrait about the pressure of loosing your virginity and finding acceptance.

Like the best John Hughes movies, which the film respectively pays homage to, “Easy A” speaks true to the high school experience and the crushing feeling of being an outcast. And while it doesn’t quite reach the heights of “Juno” or “Mean Girls,” this generation’s quintessential teenage movies, the film comes very close.

Another attribute “Easy A” has going for it is the outstanding supporting cast. There are hilarious performance all around from Thomas Haden Church as Olive’s favorite teacher, Lisa Kudrow as a guidance councilor from hell, and the apparently retired Amanda Bynes as Olive’s extremely religious nemesis.

The funniest performances of all come from Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci as Olive’s consciously corny parents. It’s comforting to see a movie with parents this understanding that shower their children with love no matter what.

As wonderful as the whole cast is, this is truly Emma Stone’s movie. Stone is funny and delightful here, which I’ve come to expect. But she also brings a one of a kind heart to her role that few other young actresses could. She makes us genuinely care about, and even love, Olive, wanting to see her overcome her peculiar dilemma. Walking out of the movie your first thought will be, “Now there’s a star.”

Reach the reporter at nspake@asu.edu

×