EDGE: Sun Devils the favorite behind offensive weapons

Quarterback

While junior transfer Steven Threet had four costly interceptions, one that was returned for a touchdown and two in the red zone in the fourth quarter, he once again led the Devils to a prolific performance between the 20-yard lines against Oregon. While it doesn’t appear that there are many defenses that can slow Threet and Noel Mazzone’s offense down, much will depend on Threet’s ability to stop hurting himself with ill-advised throws in critical situations.

Oregon State sophomore Ryan Katz takes over for graduated lefty Sean Canfield, now with the New Orleans Saints. The strong-armed Katz has yet to throw an interception on the season, though he has only averaged 150 yards per game.

The Beavers stayed competitive against Boise State and Texas Christian largely because they limited their mistakes.  OSU has yet to turn the ball over in 2010 and much of that credit goes to Katz’ decision-making.

EDGE: ASU

Running back

Three critical blunders by ASU running backs, including a dropped lateral pass that was returned for a touchdown, a fumble inside the Ducks’ 5-yard line by sophomore Cameron Marshall and a fumble by freshman Deantre Lewis in which he was not contacted, put a damper on an otherwise fantastic performance.

ASU ran for over 200 yards against another top ranked opponent, and once again left plenty more yards on the field. With Threet picking opponents apart from every angle, it’s hard to imagine ASU’s running game slowing down anytime soon — certainly not this week.

Oregon State junior Jacquizz Rodgers has run all over the Pac-10 in his two years as a starter. The shifty 5-foot-7-inch junior ran for 21 touchdowns last year, including two in the Beavers win in Sun Devil Stadium.

Edge: Even

Receivers/Tight ends

With junior Gerell Robinson’s breakout performance against the Ducks turning him into a viable threat, the Sun Devils have nine legitimate receiving targets. ASU is likely to have a new receiving star each week, though junior Mike Willie might just be the best of the bunch.

Jacquizz’s brother James, a senior, set a school record for receptions last year with 91, and is one of the most dynamic threats in the conference. James Rodgers is questionable for Saturday’s game because of a concussion suffered against BSU. Rodgers torched the Sun Devils last year for 10 catches and 119 total yards.

Sophomore receiver Jordan Bishop is also a track star at OSU and is capable of getting behind the defense for big plays. Junior tight end Joe Halahuni has been a force in the run game and is also a capable pass-catcher.

Edge: Even

Offensive Line

Despite getting beat on the left side when junior starting left-tackle Dan Knapp went down, the ASU offensive line once again played like an excellent fit in Mazzone’s no-huddle scheme. If and when junior transfer and tackle Aderious Simmons gets in the mix, the unit has a chance to be excellent.

The Beavers have two new starters from last season. Despite the Rodgers brothers, the Beavers are 113th in yards per game in the country. In the Beavers loss to the Broncos, Katz was sacked four times and OSU was held to less than three yards per carry. OSU’s offense has been far from impressive this season and that could have to do with the offensive line.

Edge: ASU

Defensive Line

The Sun Devils defensive line held arguably the best running team in the country to 3.5 yards per carry and that included an early 40-yard burst from UO sophomore LaMichael James.

Junior tackles Lawrence Guy and Bo Moos had their best games of the year and the Sun Devils’ occasional defensive breakdowns had little to do with its front. ASU’s defensive line, for much of the game, dominated the Ducks.

The Beavers have an experienced defensive front that features senior tackle Stephen Paea. Paea is considered one of the top defensive tackles in the country, though he has yet to produce like one in 2010.

While the Beavers have faced explosive offenses in TCU and BSU, they also rank 108th in the country in total defense. OSU has two sacks on the year in close to 100 drop-backs.

Edge: ASU

Linebackers

ASU sophomore Vontaze Burfict once again put together a 10-tackle game, and did it under control. It’s hard to imagine a better player at this position in the country the last two weeks.  Burfict could be turning into to the weekly dominating force many had envisioned.

Junior Colin Parker also contributed, and ASU is legitimately five deep at the spot with unmatched speed.

OSU suffered a big loss defensively last week when its leading tackler and most experienced linebacker in Dwight Roberson went down with a sprained knee. OSU coach Mike Riley ruled Roberson out for this weekend’s game. Roberson is the only returning linebacker on a team that has struggled to stop the run, generate pressure and defend the pass.

Edge: ASU

Secondary

ASU had multiple breakdowns in the secondary against UO, a team that had yet to prove it could throw the football. ASU has superb talent in its backfield and sophomore cornerback Deveron Carr has been nearly flawless and untargeted, but there is much to clean up if the Sun Devils want to be one of the top defenses in the land.

The Beavers have just one returning starter from last year in their secondary and have underperformed to this point, allowing more than eight yards per pass attempt.

Edge: ASU

Special Teams

Senior kicker Thomas Weber continued to struggle, missing his first kick of the game last week, though he has kicked with excellent distance this year. Senior Trevor Hankins continues to be a field position-changing weapon, once again averaging well over 45 yards per punt, and ASU is liable to break a long return with each opportunity, though they didn’t do it last week against the Ducks.

James Rodgers excels in both punt and kickoff returns, but if he is out, the Beavers special teams unit is average at best. OSU senior kicker Justin Kahut is solid, making 75 percent of his career kicks entering the season, though he has only made one of three this year. OSU junior punter Johnny Hekker is averaging just less than 42 yards per boot.

Edge: ASU

Overall Edge: ASU

In terms of their performances to this point, the two teams are almost mirror opposites.

ASU, which could have easily started 4-0 with two signature wins against top ranked teams, has been prolific offensively but has made a too many point-costing mistakes. The Beavers are 1-2 and have only been competitive because they’ve yet to turn the ball over.

The Sun Devils seem to clearly be the better and more talented team and if they minimize mistakes, could very well blow the Beavers out. Reach the reporter at nick.ruland@asu.edu

×