ASU administrators and the Arizona Board of Regents want to change how universities receive state funding in Arizona.

Universities currently receive money from the state based on student enrollment numbers, but discussions for a new plan include focusing on retention and the number of degrees awarded.

“Rather than looking at how many students we have, maybe we should be looking at how many degrees we have produced,” said University Planner Richard Stanley.

The current model is supposed to provide institutes with enough funding to hire one faculty member for every 22 full-time students, he said.

This system places an emphasis on growth, since more students theoretically means more money, Stanley said, but administrators will now discuss ways to receive state money based on student performance.

The Arizona Board of Regents plans to discuss a new plan at its monthly meeting Sept. 23.

One possible model is to base funding to universities on how many degrees are awarded, how much research is done and how productive the institute is overall, Stanley said.

“The approach that will be used for providing funds from the state will become driven by improvements in performance rather than simply by growth,” Stanley said.

The idea is to demonstrate that money is being spent efficiently, he said.

However, the regents will be attending the meeting with open minds and will evaluate what’s best for the universities and students, Regent Rick Myers said.

The board plans to create a proposal within the next few meetings that they will eventually present to the state Legislature, Stanley said.

“We are not at the point where we have any specific proposal yet, but we think this will be something that will be welcomed by the legislators and our governor and our regents,” Stanley said.

The upcoming meeting will be a beginning of many in-depth discussions to come, Myers said.

“It’s a chance for us to ask questions and comment and decide what we’re going to do,” he said.

The change in how the state funds the universities is an important step to take, Stanley said.

Economics sophomore Eric Miller is one student who believes that changes in the way the University is funded is a good idea.

“I think you need to do more to earn your funding, instead of just getting students to show up,” Miller said.

He said the universities need to give people incentives for earning funding, rather than basing the money on how many students attend.

Finance senior Taniel Agnerian said the funding model would benefit from change. However, he said the schools’ populations should not be overlooked.

“The number [of students] should definitely be a factor,” Agnerian said. “But productivity should definitely be looked at.”

Reach the reporter at cottens@asu.edu

×