Student sees sweet future for ‘Fro Yo’ shop

Heading a business management team might seem lofty for a college sophomore, but for Lonny Ruben, it’s a chance to grow a business.

Ruben, a 20-year-old business and political science sophomore, became the general manager months after Fro Yo at the Vue on Apache first opened in spring 2010, and he said the opportunity had given him more insight into business relations.

The team of employers is working to develop procedures to make the shop a more credible business as well as an accessible community for ASU students, Ruben said.

His knowledge of the demographics of the Tempe area has provided him the resources to market more effectively, he said.

“I came in and analyzed the shop prior to becoming the manager,” Ruben said. “I realized what qualities of the shop would be most appealing to college students, and then I applied my ideas to the renovation.”

Ruben said his position as a student and manager had challenged his time management skills, but his knowledge about the social aspects of college life had made the transition easier.

The shop revolves around student life and activity, which explains the shop’s long operating hours. These include Sunday through Wednesday from 11 a.m. to midnight, and Thursday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.

“We are providing a fun environment for college students to enjoy healthy and inexpensive treats,” Ruben said. “We also deliver to residents at the Vue in order to demonstrate our convenience and to promote customer service.”

The motto “Healthy is Sexy” advertises the shop’s promotion of a healthy lifestyle for college students. Frozen yogurt contains less fat than ice cream, and customers have the option of adding fresh fruit, Ruben said.

Design studies sophomore Kara Walsh, a cashier at Fro Yo, said the shop had a relaxed environment that was inviting to students.

“Lonny always says ‘Hi’ to everyone upon entering or even just walking past the shop, and his ability to communicate and to put himself out there has promoted the shop,” Walsh said.

Successful business involves keeping your eye on what you want the business to become and achieving that type of vision, said Chad Hartnell, a doctoral management student at the W. P. Carey School of Business.

It’s about building relationships with not just employees but customers as well, he said.

Being able to network and to maximize a business’ influence in a competitive market proves essential, Hartnell said.

There are ample opportunities to seek leadership positions as an undergraduate, Hartnell said.

Students need to ask themselves questions pertaining to the competition and need to decipher what they can provide that is unique and different than what is already being implemented, Hartnell said.

“Supplying superior community service or a fun atmosphere may put your business through the door of great opportunity,” said Hartnell.

Undergraduate students might not believe their efforts are enough to create a powerful influence in the community or the business industry, Hartnell said, but success is about creatively thinking outside the box.

Opportunities in entrepreneurship are more attainable now than ever, he said.

“We are in a breeding ground for identifying opportunities to lead others,” Hartnell said.

Seeing a need and passionately driving toward fulfillment is the key to a successful business, Hartnell said, adding that it’s crucial to see the future of a business and to anticipate growth.

Ruben said he saw a need for a place of convenience and enjoyment for students on campus, and he saw future progression in his initiative.

“I’ve put my heart and soul into this store,” Ruben said. “I plan to mass franchise Fro Yo shops at colleges across the country and especially in the Midwest, where frozen yogurt is not as well known, but I must focus on the success of this location first.”

Reach the reporter at asjohn10@asu.edu

×