ASU football moves past lopsided loss, tweaks practice

It’s done. It’s over.

Now it’s time to move on for the ASU football team.

After dropping a 50-17 decision to California on Saturday, the Sun Devils returned to the practice field with one thing in mind: moving on.

“It didn’t sit good with any of us,” ASU coach Dennis Erickson said. “The only way you can do anything about it is play the next week and play better.”

When a game goes the way Saturday’s did, moving on is easier said than done, but it is the only option. The Sun Devils have to win four of their last five to become bowl eligible.

“That’s what you have to do,” ASU quarterback Steven Threet said. “That was tough. It was disappointing, embarrassing — every word you can think of. We have to push hard and get ready for Saturday.”

There were changes to practice on Tuesday. The first team offense spent a lot of time going against the first team defense, with the second unit subbed in from time to time.

That meant a lot less time for the scout team and more intensity from the top units.

“[To] turn up the intensity a little bit in practice and get the competition flowing on Tuesday,” Threet said of the goal of the change. “It is good to go against those guys again, to set the tempo for the rest of practice, which I think it did.”

Threet’s concussion

Threet was forced to leave Saturday’s loss after suffering a concussion on the interception he threw late in the first half.

On the play, Threet was hit on the chin and then his head hit the ground.

“It was more hitting my head on the ground than getting hit on the chin,” Threet said. “It was a combination of both.”

Threet tried to convince Erickson that he could play, but the doctors said otherwise.

“It is tough to describe,” Threet said. “I was dizzy and I couldn’t really pick things out. It would have been tough to go back in. I was trying, but I failed the concussion test on the sideline.”

At first, he thought it was just another hit that a quarterback has to endure during a game, but it got worse.

“It kind of got worse as halftime went on,” Threet said. “Right after the play, I could tell I was shaken up but that happens throughout the course of the game a couple times. I didn’t think it was any different, but as halftime progressed it was getting worse.”

Threet returned to practice on Tuesday, but was restricted to no contact. He must pass another concussion test on Wednesday in order to be cleared for contact.

Despite the impending test, Threet isn’t worried about passing.

“I will be on the field on Saturday,” Threet said. “Everything that I have talked to the doctors [about], they said I will be good to go for Saturday.”

Hargis cleared

After tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in April during spring practice, senior offensive lineman Jon Hargis has officially been medically cleared to play against Washington State.

“I always thought it was possible,” Hargis said of his comeback. “I think the biggest thing through the whole thing was having the mindset of coming back.”

The mindset was kicked into another gear when Hargis’ application for a medical redshirt from the NCAA and was denied.

“I thought it was possible when they said I could come back in six months, so I did everything I could, especially when I found out I couldn’t get a medical [redshirt],” Hargis said.

Just because he is cleared doesn’t mean Hargis will play on Saturday.

He is leaving that up to his coaches.

“I think the way I practice out here [will dictate it],” Hargis said. “I don’t want to be one of those players who whines and complains about reps. I am going to go out and do my best in practice and let them make their decision.”

Reach the reporter at andrew.gruman@asu.edu

×