Junior defender Kari Shane doesn’t have much of a social life. Her schedule is full as it is.

Shane is one of four members of the ASU women’s soccer team who have taken on an internship along with full academic and athletic schedules.

“It’s pretty hard,” Shane said. “My days are really packed. I always am either interning, or at soccer, or at class, or doing homework or a project for the education program. It’s pretty difficult, but it’s doable.”

Shane is interning this semester in a first grade classroom at Balsz Elementary School in Phoenix, a two-day-a-week commitment, but one that Shane said she is happy to make.

“It’s really fun to interact with the younger kids,” Shane said. ”I’m actually able to teach certain stuff and it’s guiding me to my goal of becoming a teacher.”

Shane is interning in a class with English language learners, which adds another dynamic to the program.

“It’s pretty difficult, but you get around it,” Shane said.

On weeks that the team leaves early in the week to travel, Shane said she has to plan make-up arrangements, but the program has been pretty flexible, and she makes it work.

ASU coach Kevin Boyd said it’s good to see players working to succeed off the field.

“She’s done very well off the field, and I think she’s going to be a wonderful teacher,” Boyd said. “We’re thrilled for her.”

As far as juggling school, soccer, and an internship, Boyd said he has a lot of respect for the players who do it.

“That’s very hard for all of them, especially if you consider the fact that we start so early,” Boyd said.

ASU classes started on Aug. 19, while schools like Stanford and UCLA began on Sept. 20 and 23, respectively.

“That right there is definitely impactful on our players trying to just manage their time and commit to what we’re doing,” Boyd said.

On the field this season, Shane has been exceptional. She has started every game, and her defense on the right side has been solid all season. Her free kicks into box have frustrated opposing defenses and resulted in numerous chances on goal for the Sun Devils, although Shane only has one assist on the year.

Shane said she actually decided to play soccer before she decided to become a teacher. By age 13, she had her sports narrowed down to softball and soccer, and chose to continue with soccer.

“I just love the atmosphere, how competitive it is, and how you always get to be involved with something on the field,” Shane said.

Shane actually didn’t decide on an education major until after her first semester at ASU, but when she finally did, it felt pretty natural.

“I grew up with my dad being a teacher and my older sister being a teacher, and I just love kids,” Shane said. “I think that the kids right now are our future, and I obviously want to be a part of making a difference in our future.”

Redshirt sophomore Jessie Richardson is also interning with the teaching program, while redshirt sophomore Sierra Cook is an intern in the nursing program and redshirt senior Lindsey Johns interns in the marketing program.

Boyd said this sort of work off the field just reflects the type of program ASU soccer strives to be.

“Doing well academically, having a career path and focusing on it and being into it - that’s just part of what our program is,” Boyd said.

After she graduates, Shane said she hopes to teach somewhere in the first to third grade range.  The only tough part about teaching younger kids?

“The handwriting is difficult,” Shane said. “That’s one thing.”

Want to get the latest ASU news in your inbox every day? Sign up for our new e-mail newsletter.

×