Few basketball fans understand the pain suffered by ex-fans of the now non-existent Seattle SuperSonics.

It has been two full seasons since the Sonics packed up and moved to Oklahoma City. Sure, the Thunder are a fun team to watch and are oozing with talent, but to the folks in Seattle, it’s not the same.

Sonics fans can’t go to a game anymore. They can’t buy a jersey of the newest draft pick or meet the team at public appearances. The Sonics are gone and they aren’t coming back.

This could be the reality for a number of cities and teams in the near future if the NBA players union and the league can’t find a compromise.

NBA commissioner David Stern said he wants player costs reduced by $700-800 million. He also said contraction of teams could be possible.

Look out Timberwolves fans — your team could be next to go. You too, Pacers and Grizzlies fans. I hope the Canadians aren’t too attached to the Raptors, because they could be going extinct, too.

It’s not fair for Stern to demand such concessions and threaten contraction when he sat back and allowed the league to get to this point. Both Stern and the players must compromise so no more fans have to feel Seattle’s pain.

×