When the San Francisco Giants eliminated the Atlanta Braves last week in the National League Division Series, Major League Baseball lost arguably one of the greatest managers of all-time.

Bobby Cox had been a major league manager for 29 seasons and managed the Braves for 25, his second stint with the team since 1990.

Prior to his career ending last week, Cox was the longest tenured manager in baseball. He won 14 consecutive division titles and the 1995 World Series.

A four-time winner of the Manager of the Year Award, Cox ranks fourth on the all-time managerial wins list.

Cox is one of only four managers to win Manager of the Year in both the National and American League and is also the only person to win the award in consecutive years.

In an era where winning and winning often is the top priority, coaches seem to come and go before they even have time to set up their office. For Cox to stay in Atlanta for twenty years is something — very special and very rare.

What Cox was able to accomplish in Atlanta was truly special and for that I have this to say: Bobby, thanks for the memories.

×