Ducks lead Pac-10 rankings with Stanford win

10. Washington State (1-4, 0-2 Pac-10)

There has been no change in the bottom spot of the power rankings, which is reserved for WSU.  In their first two Pac-10 contests, the Cougars allowed a total of 92 points. The WSU defense is ranked 118th out of 120 FBS teams in total defense.

That should only get worse in the next three weeks when the Cougars face No. 3 Oregon, No. 9 UA and No. 16 Stanford in consecutive weeks.

A lone bright spot for the Cougars is the performance of quarterback Jeff Tuel. The sophomore has thrown for 1,233 yards and eight touchdowns, while throwing only four interceptions.  Barring a major upset, WSU will finish 1-11.

9. ASU (2-3, 0-2)

There isn’t much doubt that the Sun Devils have a good deal of talent on their football team, but they haven’t put it together.

The defense had visions of being the top defense in the nation in 2010, but currently sit 54th in total defense after week five and fifth in the Pac-10 conference. While the offense has improved, turnovers and lack of red zone execution has hurt ASU.

This team has the talent to win football games, but now it is about eliminating mistakes and not letting the season spiral out of control.

8. UCLA (3-2, 1-1)

After starting the season 0-2, UCLA has rebounded to win three straight, including an upset of Texas in Austin.

While the win was impressive, UT has now fallen out of the Top 25.  Nonetheless, the Bruins are a much improved football team from where they were just a few weeks ago.

Which is the real UCLA team? Was it the one that won in Austin or the team that was trailing in the second half to WSU?

The running back tandem of Jonathan Franklin and Derrick Coleman has been outstanding and they have to continue to be. Quarterback Kevin Prince missed the WSU game, but should return against Cal.

Regardless, UCLA can’t throw the football; they are 118th in the nation, averaging less than 100 passing yards per game.

7.  California (2-2, 0-1)

Cal had a huge win in Tucson in its grasp, but let it slip away. After a bye week last week, the Golden Bears host UCLA in an important game for both schools.

The Cal defense is still a question mark, having been torched by Nevada then coming back to shut down the powerful UA offense.

The offense will be alright as long as running back Shane Vereen stays healthy. Quarterback Kevin Riley is experienced, but isn’t to be trusted late in the game to bring a team back. Those games usually end in an interception, like the loss to UA did.

6. Washington (2-2, 1-0)

What we have learned about UW in 2010 is that quarterback Jake Locker is vitally important to the Huskies success.

Locker had arguably the worst game of his career in a blowout loss to Nebraska, but had one of his best in last week’s upset of USC. When Locker is on, UW can compete with anybody offensively.

UW’s defense has been shaky, especially against the run. With Oregon State’s Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon’s LaMichael James and Cal’s Shane Vereen ahead in the schedule, the Huskies must get better against the run if it wants to finish in the top half of the league.

5. USC (4-1, 1-1)

The Trojans have struggled to beat Hawaii, Virginia and Minnesota, dominated WSU and then fell to UW. This is where the mental side of things will be tested.

The Trojans can’t make a bowl game, so winning the Pac-10 is all they have left. With Oregon playing the way they are, there isn’t much more margin for error.

The odds are that USC will not win the conference, so how will they play once they are officially out of the race?

USC’s offense has been fine, but the defense has not been good. The Trojans’ secondary has been abused and USC gives up the most yards through the air than any other team in the league.

4. Oregon State (2-2, 1-0)

The Beavers looked much better in their league opener and appear that they are going to be a factor in the Pac-10.

After a challenging non-conference schedule, OSU played well against ASU.

Quarterback Ryan Katz struggled in the non-conference schedule, but tore apart ASU’s defense without his best receiver. If Katz can come into his own with Jacquizz Rodgers in the backfield, the Beavers’ offense would be dangerous.

Still, Katz is unproven and the Beavers are ranked dead last in total offense in the Pac-10. With a defense that is ranked 105th in the nation, the offense has to play like it did against ASU to have a chance at the league.

3. Stanford (4-1, 1-1)

In the first half of last Saturday’s loss to Oregon, Stanford looked like a top-five team. But in the second half, they were dominated.

With the loss to UO coming so early in the season, the Cardinals must be near perfect the rest of the way to keep its conference title hopes alive.  Stanford’s offense will be fine, but the defense has to get better if it wants to play in a BCS bowl game.

Regardless of the loss to the Ducks, Stanford is still a very talented football team that will bounce back.

2. Arizona (4-0, 1-0)

Prior to last week’s bye, UA was lucky to survive a home scare against Cal.  OSU comes to Tucson this week and provides the Wildcats with their biggest challenge until early November.  The Wildcats are second in the nation in total defense and have an explosive offense.

The Wildcats should be undefeated heading into the showdown with Stanford on Nov. 6.  Following their matchup in Palo Alto, UA gets USC at home and then travels to Eugene to face the Ducks.

UA can’t afford to slip up before then.

1. Oregon (5-0, 2-0)

It became very clear in the second half last Saturday that UO is the class of the Pac-10.

Not only are the Ducks the favorite to win the conference, they are right in the thick of the national championship race. LaMichael James is a legitimate Heisman candidate and quarterback Darron Thomas is coming into his own.

The Ducks have owned the second half of football games, only allowing seven points all year in the second half.

This week the UO offense gets to go against the awful WSU defense.  Don’t be surprised to see the Ducks put on another offensive show on Saturday.

Reach the reporter at andrew.gruman@asu.edu

×