Supplemental facts

(In response to Andrew Hedlund's Oct. 8 column "Scorching our Future.")

Mr. Hedlund cites some misleading data from the Arizona Education Association, a left-leaning teacher's union. It is true that the state government spends around $6,200 dollars per student, however that number fails to take into account the money spent by school districts, which pushes the real number closer to $10,000 for every K-12 student. Mr. Hedlund also fails to mention that according to the Arizona State Auditor General, only 57 cents of every dollar spent on education in Arizona is to directly support classroom activities. If someone wants to rail against growing class sizes, they need to take this number into account.

Daniel Caldwell

Reader

ASU guest list

[Tomorrow], Norman Finkelstein, an avid anti-Israel speaker and anti-Semite, will be speaking on our campus. I personally feel anger and disgust toward his invitation. He is vicious about Zionism and Israel and relentlessly promotes Palestinian propaganda and its distortions. He repeatedly accuses Israel and its supporters of being Nazis. He claims that the U.S. and Israel shared a desire to disrupt Arab nationalism. Finkelstein's views toward Israel, the Holocaust and the United States are venomously displayed, and he creates a false representation of my interests as an American and the interests of my peers. I condemn his presence and hold no respect for his corrupt ideals and mission to delegitimize Israel and tragically misinform the student body.

Hayley Magerman

Undergraduate

×