Now atop the nation, Oregon still on top of Pac-10

The top team and the bottom team are easy selections in this edition of the power rankings.

The rest? Not so much. The middle of the Pac-10 is a mess, full of teams that have shown signs of being good football teams, but also shown signs of being below average.

10. Washington State (1-6, 0-4 Pac-10)

It is evident that the Cougars are better in a lot of areas from where they were over the course of the past few years, but that still is miles behind every other Pac-10 team.

It is not a very bold statement to predict that WSU won’t win another game the rest of the year. The Cougars’ defense did play better against UA last week, but Wildcats’ quarterback Nick Foles was knocked out of the game with a knee injury.

Without an upset win the rest of the way, WSU coach Paul Wulff will likely be shown his way out of Pullman at season’s end.

9. UCLA (3-3, 1-2)

With so many teams sitting at 3-3, it’s a crapshoot to set them all apart. Each of the following teams has looked like quality teams at times, but has also looked bad at times.

UCLA looked the latter two weeks ago in a blowout loss to California. Conversely, UCLA’s win at Texas had them looking like a legitimate bowl team.

The Bruins’ offense is one-dimensional; UCLA simply can’t throw the football. UCLA is 118th out of 120 FBS teams in passing yardage per game, averaging only 95.5 yards through the air. The defense is good enough to win football games, but the Bruins have to get good production from the run game to win.

UCLA gets to play Oregon on Thursday night, the Ducks first game as the new top-ranked team in the country. Don’t expect the trend of No. 1 teams losing to continue.

8. Cal (3-3, 1-2)

There is no nice way to put it; Cal was embarrassed by Southern California last weekend.

The Golden Bears were down 42-0 at the half. Cal’s defense looked lost trying to stop USC quarterback Matt Barkley and the Golden Bears’ offense could barely get a first down. That makes Saturday’s home contest with ASU a crucial one for both teams.

Cal has historically played much better at Memorial Stadium and is 3-0 at home this season, however, its home opponents have been UC Davis, Colorado and UCLA.

The Cal defense has been exposed by Nevada and USC, but has been solid outside of those two games. The offense depends on running back Shane Vereen because quarterback Kevin Riley has been his inconsistent self.

7.  Washington (3-3, 2-1)

UW needed to upset OSU to keep any hopes of a bowl berth alive.

Their reward is a brutal three weeks. The Huskies head to Tucson Saturday, host Stanford in two weeks and wrap up the tough stretch with a trip to Oregon. UW needs one upset in those three games to stay in the hunt. If they get swept, they will need to win their final three games to become bowl eligible.

The key is how Jake Locker plays. When he has struggled, UW has struggled.

6. ASU (3-3, 1-2)

Ranking ASU ahead of UW is simply based off the belief that the Sun Devils are the more talented team. They showed that by going into Husky Stadium and winning.

Saturday’s game at Cal is even more importance as ASU must win to keep its bowl hopes alive.

The bye week may have come at a bad time and might have broken up some of ASU’s momentum. Nonetheless, if ASU plays up to its ability, doesn’t turn it over and limits penalties, they could go on a roll.

5. Oregon State (3-3, 2-1)

Ryan Katz had two outstanding performances in wins over ASU and UA. Then he played like a first-year starter last week in OSU’s loss to UW.

Mike Riley showed why he is one of the elite coaches in the country by going for the win instead of kicking the tying extra point in double overtime last week. He will have OSU ready to bounce back after this week’s bye.

The Beavers’ fate will lie in Katz’s hands. Running back Jacquizz Rodgers is carrying a tremendous load and has taken 141 of the 142 carries by OSU running backs this season. With his brother, wide receiver James Rodgers, out for the season, that load will continue.

The three games after the bye are critical for OSU, because the season finishes against USC, Stanford and Oregon.

4. USC (5-2, 2-2)

USC proved that even with nothing to play for, they are not going to roll over and die.

Two straight losses on last-second field goals and no bowl potential at the end of the road might have killed the morale of a lot of teams, but not Lane Kiffin’s Trojans. They have too much pride and responded with a whooping of Cal.

The Trojans’ offense, led by Matt Barkley’s 20 touchdown passes and the phenomenally talented freshman wide receiver Robert Woods, is rolling.

USC has a bye this week, but coming out of it they welcome Oregon to the Coliseum. The prideful Kiffin will likely have his team ready to ruin the Ducks’ National Championship hopes.

3. Arizona (5-1, 2-1)

Losing quarterback Nick Foles to injury is a big blow to UA.

While backup Matt Scott has starting experience and talent, Foles is an important part of the Wildcats’ success. UA can survive with Scott starting against UW and UCLA, but absolutely needs Foles back for games against Stanford, USC and Oregon.

Without Foles, UA’s running game has to perform better than it has. If he is not back in three weeks, UA’s season may slip away.

2. Stanford (5-1, 2-1)

Stanford’s close call with USC looks much better after the Trojans’ huge win over Cal.

The UW game in two weeks could be a huge trap game for Stanford, with a matchup against UA looming the following week.

Stanford’s offense is one of the most balanced around, but its defense is its key to success. The Cardinal are just an average defensive football team that has not played well against good offenses.

That may hold them back from becoming an elite team.

1. Oregon (6-0, 3-0)

We’ve reached the second easy decision in the power rankings.

The new No. 1 team in the nation is on the fast track to the National Championship game. The Ducks have yet to allow a point in the fourth quarter and have allowed only 13 in the second half of their games. This team knows how to win and can bury a team in a matter of minutes with how explosive their run game is.

Their challenges will come at USC, at home against UA and the Civil War with OSU in Corvallis. An undefeated season won’t be easy, but UO could do it.

Reach the reporter at andrew.gruman@asu.edu

Want to get the latest ASU news in your inbox every day? Sign up for our new e-mail newsletter.

×