Offense could be simplified after Cal defeat

UNDER PRESSURE: Redshirt junior quarterback Steven Threet directs the ASU offense against Washington on Oct. 9. After Threet's struggles in a 50-17 loss to Cal on Saturday, coach Dennis Erickson said he might simplify the ASU offense to take some of the pressure off of the quarterback position. (Photo by Sccott Stuk)

The ASU football team has improved in virtually every aspect offensively from the previous two seasons, but after getting wrecked 50-17 Saturday against California, it may be time to check itself.

ASU coach Dennis Erickson indicated in his Monday press conference that it might be time to simplify the offense for redshirt junior quarterback Steven Threet.

Threet suffered a concussion late in the first half of Saturday’s contest, but Erickson said he would likely be available for practice Tuesday, though the potential change in play calling is not due to the injury. With two first half interceptions, Threet is third in the country out of the top 100 passers, with 13 on the season.

“It wasn’t one of his best games,” Erickson said. “And there were some things that he missed, and he’ll be the first one to admit it. There are other things in this offense that we have to do, and I have mentioned it a 100 times: we put a lot of pressure on our quarterback seeing everything out there all the time.”

Erickson indicated that there could be more emphasis on the running game, which struggled against Cal averaging just over two yards a carry.

“We’ve got to look at what we are doing offensively, not that we would change our offense, but let’s look at maybe not putting the pressure on [Threet] every down within what we do,” Erickson said. “We are looking at some things right now where he doesn’t have to make a decision every darn play. And the same thing with Brock [Osweiler] if he happened to get in there.”

Erickson said that the sophomore Osweiler, who has been nursing a bad back much of the last three weeks, would return to his duties as the No. 2 quarterback this week in front of redshirt junior Samson Szakacsy, who completed eight of 17 passes with an interception in relief of Threet against Cal.

“Brock wasn’t ready [against Cal], “ Erickson said. “He practiced one day, and he still wasn’t sure about his back, so I just made a decision to go with [Szakacsy] because he practiced.”

Erickson said that the combination of an ineffective running game and few practice reps made it a difficult situation for Szakacsy.

“I mean, all of a sudden the skies open up, and here is a kid going to play for the first time and hadn’t practiced much,” Erickson said.

When asked if Threet’s play independent of his concussion injury would warrant him to reevaluate the position, Erickson said, “Maybe, but Brock hasn’t been playing enough to warrant looking at the position.”

Erickson appears to be standing behind Threet for the remainder of the season, but seemed to imply that he would be open to a change if Threet’s poor play continued.

“Steven Threet gives our team the best chance to win the next five football games, and that is the most important thing to me, and if Brock gets healthy, we will see as time goes on,” Erickson said.

Injury report

Erickson said that junior Oliver Aaron, who suffered a concussion against Cal, would be ready to go this week. Junior linebacker Shelly Lyons, who broke his foot and will have surgery this Friday, will miss the rest of the season.

Erickson’s self-deprecation

Always quick with a quip, sometimes at his own expense, Erickson had this gem from Monday’s press conference when asked about Threet’s health status:

“Steven had that concussion, and from what I understand, you know how those concussions are, they’ve got those tests and all that stuff that they take. I’d probably flunk it myself, just being normal. I’m sure a lot of people think that.”

Reach the reporter at nick.ruland@asu.edu

×