What to Watch: Different, not Less

Claire Danes as Temple Grandin. Courtesy HBO/All Rights Reserved.

Temple Grandin is an extraordinary woman. She’s brave. She’s strong. To say she’s brilliant would be an understatement.

And she’s autistic.

Despite what anybody thought or said or did, Grandin never gave up. She went to college and earned her bachelor’s degree. Then, she went to our very own Arizona State University and earned her master’s degree. Finally, she worked her way up to earning her doctorate.

She’s so amazing and inspirational that Claire Danes approached her wanting to turn her story into a film. They did just that. Not only did I find the film amazing but so did the rest of the world. It won seven Emmy Awards, including Best Made-for-Television Movie. Legit.

And guess what? That film recently arrived in my mailbox from Netflix. (Yaaaaay.)

I wanted to see the film for a few reasons:

1 ) I wanted to know if the hype was really worth it. It was. 2 ) I wanted to let all of you know about the film since Grandin went to our own university. Isn’t that awesome?!

The film follows her college career with flashbacks to her moments in her earlier years that gave insight into who Temple really was and why she was the way she was.

One of the most remarkable things about the film was how it showed what was inside of Grandin’s head. You saw what she saw through her eyes. You experienced the calm that she felt when she was with cattle. You felt her uneasiness.

Claire Danes portrayed Grandin with remarkable grace and skill. The rest of the cast was also impressive. And the film as a whole was wonderful.

If you ever feel like you just can’t make it, or if you just feel like you’d enjoy a mass amount of inspiration, watch this film.

Let me leave you with these wise words from the film: “Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be.”

×