Bowl predictions: Oregon likely to represent Pac-10 in title game

HIGH EXPECTATIONS: Oregon sophomore quarterback Darron Thomas leads a powerful Ducks offense that may have more speed than any team in the country. With just California, UA and Oregon State left to play, Oregon is widely expected to appear in the BCS National Championship game. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

BCS National Championship

BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2

Oregon vs. Texas Christian

UO’s two toughest games are behind it. All the Ducks have to do now to punch their national championship ticket is beat California in Berkeley, No. 18 UA in Eugene and Oregon State in Corvallis. The Civil War matchup with OSU will probably prove to be the most difficult test of the three.

UO tends to let its opponents hang around for a while, but by the time the second half comes around, the Ducks’ speed gasses even the most well-conditioned defenses.

Through its first nine games this season, UO has outscored its opponents 87-7 in the fourth quarter.

Rose Bowl

Pac-10 No. 1 vs. Big Ten No. 1

Boise State vs. Ohio State

Although the Rose Bowl wouldn’t be forced to take a non-BCS school because of TCU in the title game, the bylaw states that it would need to within the next four-year cycle.

So, with a high profile undefeated BSU team out there, the granddaddy still might select the Broncos to get the requirement out of the way.

The last time the Rose Bowl wasn’t forced to select a Pac-10 team (2004 when Southern California played for the national championship) it selected Texas to replace it, not another Pac-10 team.

Alamo Bowl

Pac-10 No. 2 vs. Big 12 No. 2 or 3

Stanford vs. Missouri

Because BSU sneaks into the Rose Bowl, a one-loss Cardinal team might miss out on the BCS completely.

Neither the Orange nor Sugar Bowl would likely select Stanford as an at-large bid because of the travel distance. And since the Fiesta Bowl has the last selection of BCS eligible teams, it will probably be forced to take the Big East winner by default.

That situation would be unfortunate for the Pac-10, especially since the Cardinal’s only loss would be to the top-ranked Ducks.

Stanford finishes up conference play against ASU, Cal and OSU.

Holiday Bowl

Pac-10 No. 3 vs. Big 12 No. 5

UA vs. Baylor

The Wildcats looked dreadful against Stanford last weekend, losing 42-17.

Although Cardinal sophomore quarterback Andrew Luck lit up the UA defense, it was the offense that disappointed the most. In a game that was built up as a potential shootout, the Wildcats only managed 17 points despite gaining 428 yards of total offense.

Still, UA should win two of its last three games (vs. USC, at No. 1 UO, vs. ASU) and clinch the third place bowl bid.

Sun Bowl

Pac-10 No. 4 vs. ACC No. 4

Oregon State vs. Miami (FL)

The Beavers controlled their own Rose Bowl destiny entering their game against UCLA last weekend, but after a flat performance and 17-14 loss OSU now needs to win two of its last four games to become bowl eligible.

The Beavers get a quasi-bye Saturday when they host Washington State, so if OSU can pull off an upset against USC, No. 6 Stanford or No. 1 UO, it will be postseason bound.

Las Vegas Bowl

Pac-10 No. 5 vs. Mountain West

California vs. Utah

Cal finally won a road game last weekend against WSU, but that probably won’t make the critics go away.

Next up, the Golden Bears get No. 1 UO and No. 6 Stanford before closing out the regular season against Washington. Cal needs to win just one more game for it to become bowl eligible.

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl

Pac-10 No. 6 vs. WAC

UCLA vs. Nevada

Thanks to last Saturday’s upset of OSU, the Bruins now only need to win two of their final three games to become the Pac-10’s sixth and final bowl eligible team. UCLA plays back-to-back road games against UW and ASU before facing its cross-town rival USC at home.

If the Bruins falter, however, the Sun Devils could sneak in the back door by winning two of their final three games and obtaining a special waiver.

If a sixth Pac-10 team doesn’t become eligible, the bid would turn into an at-large selection.

Reach the reporter at tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×