Eat, Drink in Arcadia

Photo by Diana Martinez.
Photo by Diana Martinez.

Arcadia is adorable. Nestled between Phoenix and Scottsdale, this neighborhood sports ranch-style homes atop what used to be citrus groves. It screams "California" and is home to a slew of delicious and hip restaurants.

State Press Magazine presents the best (and worst) of Arcadia's eateries, with a splash of Biltmore Fashion Park and just one disappointing burger joint.

True Food

FOX Restaurant Concepts has done it again: True Food Kitchen at the Biltmore Fashion Park appeals to meat-eaters, vegetarians and gluten-free diners alike with their globally inspired healthy dishes.

True Food's menu is based on Dr. Andrew Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid, and the restaurant promotes sustainability by buying both local and organic produce. It’s an expensive meal (entrées run $13 to $24; plus $6 to $12 salads and appetizers), so save your money for a special date or an evening with close friends or family.

An open kitchen, lemon-lime walls, reclaimed wood tabletops and wicker chairs make diners feel like they’re eating in a garden. True Food’s unique cocktails and virgin beverages go with the garden theme. My dining partner tried the Cucumber-Clementine Skinny Margarita, which actually seemed more cleansing than intoxicating.

Try the Teriyaki Brown Rice Bowl, which is topped with a green mound of freshly cooked veggies and a healthy hunk of avocado, and for dessert gobble up the lemon olive oil cake with strawberries and Greek yogurt.

If you go...

2502 E. Camelback Road, Phoenix. 602-774-3488, truefoodkitchen.com. Monday through Thursday,  11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday,  9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

The Grind

I really wanted to love this place, because the menu looks amazing. But there were a few red flags right from the get-go: first of all, The Grind is awkwardly located in a strip mall, which I suppose can be overlooked once inside the restaurant — it’s a pretty chill sports bar crossed with a hipster restaurant (not really though, as you’ll see once you sit down).

The second, and most unavoidable, red flag is the gigantic photo of Sheriff Joe that adorns the wall of The Grind, in which he is about to stuff an enormous hamburger into his mouth. Also inescapable are the stares of the 40-something businessmen that creep around this place for Monday Night Football.

Maybe I wouldn’t hate this place so much if I weren’t a vegetarian, but the waitresses and kitchen staff were extremely unaccommodating — who knew that “coal roasted vegetables [note: plural] with fresh herbs & olive oil” actually meant “lame-ass soggy cauliflower,” and that a mediocre meal and drinks for two would cost more than $60 plus tip. Even my meat-eating friend disliked his coal fired roasted chicken sandwich.

The only redeeming element of this dinner was the rosemary roasted cheese with strawberry relish appetizer, which was awesome. Other than that, we would have been better off going to Delux.

Also, burgers should come with fries. A diner should never, and I mean never, have to pay an extra $5 for french fries. Period. (We're looking at you too, Delux.)

If you go:

3961 E. Camelback Road, Phoenix. 602-954-7463, thegrindaz.com. Sunday though Thursday, 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. Friday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Over Easy

This breakfast eatery certainly celebrates the egg — so much so that the inside of the restaurant is painted a bright egg-yolk yellow.

Try to ignore the fact that Over Easy used to be a Taco Bell (actually it’s kind of funny to picture it as one) and enjoy the eclectic people-watching as you wait for your meal — early weekend mornings in Arcadia draw an interesting crowd of families, old couples and hungover college kids.

Over Easy definitely has a weekend rush, which makes parking and waiting in line for the tiny restaurant a hassle. Squeeze on to the counter for a front-row view of the chefs at work and some sensational smells.

I don’t know what it is about Over Easy’s Wolf Pack, which is essentially layers of eggs, bacon and melted cheese sandwiched between hash browns, but I constantly crave this filler-upper meal when I wake up on extra-rough mornings. That and a glass of strawberry lemonade with rosemary, and I’m good to go.

Get there early and the wait will be fine. Over Easy serves classic diner food, and nothing too complicated. They do have a Man vs. Food-style concoction: the $30 Big E’s Pile-up, which if eaten in under 30 minutes is free. This sounds dangerous and fattening; I would stick to the simpler eggs and entrées.

If you go:

4730 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix. 602-468-3447, eatatovereasy.com. Daily, 6:30 to 11:30 a.m.

The Vig

Woke up too late for Over Easy? Try Sunday Funday brunch at The Vig, which recently opened a second location in uptown Phoenix.

The Vig has multiple personalities — not only is it a hip place for dinner and drinks, but it also has a chill and family-friendly afternoon atmosphere. Just don’t let the cougars scare you away (or lure you in with their adorable children).

A cinderblock fence encases the secluded back patio of The Vig, which gives off a poolside vibe that’s exaggerated by wooden slat tables, deck chairs covered by beach umbrellas, and a Bocce ball lawn.

An outdoor fireplace and card games at the tables make you feel at home while you scarf down delicious hangover food, like french toast and fresh-squeezed orange juice.

The Eye Opener Skillet is a must-try: perfectly cooked potatoes, eggs, cheese, peppers and onions all scrambled together in one heavenly dish.

Great cocktails and live music add to the nighttime ambiance of The Vig, making it a go-to spot for happy hour and late-night drinks. The narrow restaurant can get loud, so it’s a good place to go for a second date or a less-intimate dinner.

If you go:

4041 N. 40th St., Phoenix. 602-553-7227, thevig.us. Daily,  11 a.m. to 1 a.m. (Bar closes at 2 a.m.)

La Grande Orange (LGO) & Chelsea’s Kitchen

LGO has it all: eat-in or take-out breakfast and lunch, an amazing pizzeria, a gelato shop, a gift store filled with fun home décor and a wall full of wine. The big orange truly is the heart of Arcadia.

Downtowners — after your morning class, get your grub on at LGO’s weekday brunch. Best breakfast items: amazing English muffins and the Commuter Sandwich. The kitchen is extremely accommodating and will do substitutions.

In the evening, the cute cafeteria-style dining room turns into a wait-to-be-seated pizzeria and burger place. The Shangri-La Vegetarian Burger, Roasted Corn Pizza and Fallen Angel pizza are absolutely divine. Anything and everything from the dessert case, especially the cupcakes, are good tummy-toppers.

Be aware that the parking lot fills up quickly, so if you don’t want to valet you might have to drive around for a few (or 15) minutes before you find a spot. Long lines at the disorganized counters are somewhat annoying, but honestly, the food, if not the English muffins alone, is worth the wait.

Chelsea’s Kitchen is one of LGO’s satellite restaurants. This fancier restaurant is perfect for a birthday celebration or quiet dinner. Best eats at Chelsea’s Kitchen: Taco Platters — Dr. B’s Vegetarian or Grilled Swordfish — or anything from the rotisserie.

If you go...

4410 N. 40th St., Phoenix. 602-840-7777, lagrandeorangegrocery.com. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday through Saturday, 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Contact the reporter at melody.parker@asu.edu.

×