This Weekend: Miniature Tigers take on the Roots

The Miniature Tigers. Photo by Brandon Lee.

This Saturday night, the eclectic jazz-infused hip-hop band the Roots will compete against the contagious pop-driven (and formerly local) indie rockers Miniature Tigers.

Red Bull, host of the musical brawl, calls it “the ultimate live music conversation" — local heroes duking it out with a legendary hip-hop group. On one stage will be the Tigers, fresh off of their sophomore release, “Fortress,” and on the other, the critically acclaimed Grammy winners. The Scottsdale audience will stand between the two stages as the bands go back and forth in what will undoubtedly be an interesting mash-up of the two genres.

Though Red Bull Soundclash is billed as a competition between the two bands to be judged by the audience, Miniature Tigers singer Charlie Brand explains they have been working together as opposed to against each other.

“It’s pegged as a battle, but it’s really more of a collaborative effort,” Brand says in a telephone interview. “They’re such a good band, they could wipe the floor with us. So we see it more as a collaboration.”

The bands will not only be playing their own songs, but will also be playing versions of each other’s songs.

“Shock and excitement,” Brand says was his initial reaction upon learning of the proposal to work with the Roots. “I didn’t believe it at first. It’s really exciting to work with a band like them.”

Brand explains the most challenging part of the experience has been learning new songs in a short period of time. “We spent two days rehearsing with them in New York,” he says. “We basically got in a room together and messed around with the songs. It’s pushed us in a way we normally wouldn’t be.”

The best part he says is hanging out with a band as established as the Roots. “Watching “?uestlove” sing one of our songs has been a life highlight, not just a highlight of this experience,” Brand says.

Although it’s been fun, the band also walked away with a few pointers.

“Being able to watch their process has inspired us,” Brand says. “They’ve been together for so long and play so much, they have almost telepathic communication. They’re super connected. We have that to a degree but not as much.”

The former Phoenix-based band would appear to have home-court advantage over the native Philadelphians, but Brand doesn’t think it will make much of a difference. “I’m not a very competitive person,” Brand says.

“We’re going to crush them,” he then says jokingly.

Brand says they would likely participate in Soundclash again. If he could pick the other act to “compete" against, he has only one suggestion: “Justin Beiber.”

If you go... Red Bull Soundclash American Junkie, 4363 N. 75th St., Scottsdale. 9 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 20. $10. redbullusa.com/soundclash-az.

×