Similar to the proverbial tree falling in a Rocky Mountain forest, does anything the Colorado Rockies do actually happen if people that matter aren’t paying attention?

As it turns out, the Rockies only come to exist as an irritant.

The team signed shortstop Troy Tulowitzki to a seven-year extension Tuesday that will keep him in purple and black, basically forever.

Over night, mainstream national baseball writers became experts on the organization’s business model and in near unison bemoaned the deal, with Yahoo’s Jeff Passan going as far to say that its “bad” for Tulowitzki and “ill-conceived and unconscionable” for the Rockies.

Passan makes a speculative argument fraught with head-scratching assumptions, essentially saying both Tulowitzki and the Rockies destroyed their futures because of the length and size of the extension.

But there is no need to dissect Passan’s misinformation (perhaps disinformation).

Why do these writers suddenly care about the Rockies payroll?

Could it be that national media members are conditioned to appease the biggest markets on the coasts, that any sort of ‘win’ for the fanbase of a fly-over state is actually a loss for them?

Let’s face it; a player the caliber of Tulowitzki moving from Colorado to the East Coast is better business for many.

Reach the reporter at nick.ruland@asu.edu

×