Women's hoops hosts Colorado State as conference play looms

As nonconference play dwindles down, The ASU women’s basketball team will look to improve its rebounding, starting with a game against Colorado State on Saturday in Tempe.

After sweeping the ASU Classic last weekend, the Sun Devils (6-2) play five of their next six games at home, with only four games left until the conference opener against Oregon State on Dec. 31.

ASU coach Charli Turner Thorne said that while ASU isn’t perfect in the other areas, rebounding has been a concern.

“I think it’s an area we really need to improve on,” Turner Thorne said. “I don’t think we’re where we need to be to separate us from the other team. We played Tennessee and we played Florida State, and the only big difference in those games was the rebounding.”

A big step in achieving that goal will be making sure everyone gets involved, said senior forward Becca Tobin.

“If one person doesn’t box out when everybody else does, then we won’t get the rebound,” Tobin said. “We know that if we all box out, someone on our team will release and get the ball. It doesn’t just take one person to box out, it takes the whole team.”

Junior forward Kimberly Brandon had several huge games this past weekend, recording 16 points and 15 rebounds against Cal Poly followed by 11 rebounds against New Mexico.

It’s a success she hopes to continue in the paint this Saturday.

“Every time I step onto the court I’m going to try my best,” Brandon said. “I’m getting the ball more, and hopefully we’ll keep that tough offensive mindset going into this weekend.”

The Rams (5-3) are led in scoring by a pair of Europeans, junior forward Kim Mestdagh from Belgium and junior forward Chatilla van Grinsven from the Netherlands.

Mestdagh is averaging 18.9 points and 5.6 rebounds a game, with van Grinsven averaging 13.5 points and 7.6 rebounds.

“I definitely expect a tough game,” Turner Thorne said. “They are a much-improved team, and they really play well together. They’ve got good depth, they’re athletic, they can really shoot the three, so a lot of good strength in their team.”

CSU also has a tough defense, averaging almost nine steals a game and has held opponents to just 38.2 percent shooting.

The Rams do appear to have a weakness when it comes to turnovers, however, averaging 19 a game.

Turner Thorne said keys for the Sun Devils will be taking away the three-point game and maintaining a strong presence on the inside. Having Tobin back to full health after missing a game last Friday should help ASU in the paint, and the Sun Devils have kept opponents’ 3-pointers made to 2.9 a game.

“[Tobin] has looked really good this week in practice, and that’ll be a big plus for us.” Brandon said.

CSU is also coming off a tough loss to in-state rivals Colorado, 73-49, in a game that saw the Rams shoot only 30 percent from the field.

“We’ve had a nice break to recover from November and all the travel and everything,” Turner Thorne said. “At the same time, it’s always an interesting time, as everybody’s in finals. But we want to play good teams, be challenged, and get better.”

Reach the reporter at egrasser@asu.edu

×