Downtown Dispatch: Copper Star’s Iced Americano

The shop has great patio seating and great iced americanos. Photo by Chelsea Brown.

The other day, I was venturing around in the Grand Avenue District and decided to make a stop at Copper Star Coffee for a mid-afternoon coffee break. The shop is set up in an old gas station and lines one of the sweetest, homiest neighborhoods I’ve ever seen.

The coffee shop was filled with people meeting for their afternoon coffee and chats and the pastry case was filled with cookies and yummy looking cinnamon rolls (with tons of icing). I decided to get an iced americano (water, ice and espresso), and was a bit sad to hear that they were out of their famous black and white cupcakes (they won a best of award in 2010 from "The New Times" for these babies).

Even though iced americanos are hard to mess up, I really enjoyed this one. While there, I also tried a lemon herbal iced tea (huge one-size cup for cheap) and liked it as well. I also really enjoyed sipping my drink outside while sitting on the shop's eclectic patio furniture (they have a table made out of cement and pretty bottles). The weather lately has been perfect in Phoenix and Copper Star Coffee is a great place to grab a cup of joe (or tea), a pastry and relax the afternoon away.

Copper Star Coffee is located at 4220 N. 7th Ave., and is open Monday through Thursday, and Sunday from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Friday through Saturday from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

×