Downtown Dispatch: Stroll Through Halls of Timeless Art

The museum welcomes you. Photo by Chelsea Brown.

The Phoenix Art Museum has been a long-standing landmark in downtown Phoenix. Positioned along Central Avenue, close to one of my favorite coffee shops, Giant Coffee, the Phoenix Art Museum is home to one of the best and most versatile collections of art in town.

Known for its never ending permanent exhibits and its amazing traveling exhibits that swing through, the art museum is home and hostel to some of the greatest pieces of art from our time and years past. Their permanent collection includes pieces by Ansel Adams, Cezanne, Pablo Piccasso, Georgia O’Keeffe, Mark Rothko, Norman Rockwell, and Andy Warhol. The currently traveling exhibit is “Inspired Vision,” portraits by Sonya Noskowiak, and on the 27th, “Fashion Independent, the original style of Ann Bonfoey Taylor” opens and will showcase some amazing clothing.

To me, the Phoenix Art Museum is truly a place you can get lost in, and spend hours, upon hours exploring all the different wings and exhibits. There is so much ground to cover there, and it’s a great place to go when the weather is extra warm outside because all its rooms are temperature controlled to ensure the life of the works of art that they have scattered throughout almost every inch of their grounds. The exhibits aren’t all inside though, in fact, they have a lovely walking sculpture garden situated in the middle of the museum that makes for the perfect stroll on a cool spring day.

When you’re there, don’t forget to check out the giant black sphere, the starry room upstairs that will make you feel like you’re walking into an infinite abyss, and also the talking blob that resides downstairs who will call to you as you walk by.

The Phoenix Art Museum is located at 1625 N. Central Ave., and is open Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Thursday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. ASU students with ID pay only $8, and those without pay $10. The museum is also free Wednesdays from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m., and is free on First Fridays from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

×