Downtown Dispatch: The Royal Food Truck Court

The trucks wait for hungry customers. Photo by Chelsea Brown.

After spending many years in Portland, Los Angeles, New York, and other major cities across the country, the food truck craze has finally hit Phoenix.

Every Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., fancy food trucks set up in the parking lot of the Phoenix Public Market, right across from the downtown ASU campus.  The hope that students, local business employees, and anyone else that has a craving for some delicious food, will head down and spend a few hours trying out the various items that each different food truck offers drives them to the lot.

Among the usual featured food trucks is Truckin’ Good Food, the business that is said to be responsible for bringing the food truck idea to surface in Phoenix, and who is famous for their duck fat french fries, a long with Short Leash Hotdogs, who serves a variety of specialty hot dogs. Also parked is Torched Goodness, who is known for crème brulee that comes in flavors like coconut, peaches and crème, s’mores, and other.

Generally the food truck court, as I like to call it, is very busy and the lines can be pretty long if you don’t get there early. Don’t let that discourage you though from coming because I hear the food is absolutely worth it. If you do however run into a snag and the lunch you wanted is off the menu (the most popular items go pretty fast), you always have the Phoenix Public Market to fall back on for an equally delicious lunch.

The Phoenix Food Trucks meet every Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the corner of Pierce Street and Central Avenue in downtown Phoenix.

×