Well hello, February. School's back in, the holidays are over, and there's a need to celebrate for something. Why not have a party for the shows coming to town? Instead of searching event-listing sites, hoping you don't miss a show, The State Press has your bases covered. So rock out to whatever your taste may be and be merry, regardless of the homework and tests that await when you get home.

Pop

This coming month does not produce a plethora of mainstream music in the valley, but for the old and young, a few venues bring two ends of the pop spectrum to February's shows.

Sarah McLachlan & Friends at Comerica Theatre (Phoenix) on Feb. 11. Miranda Cosgrove with Greyson Chance at Marquee Theatre (Tempe) on Feb. 23.

Alternative Rock

With such a broad genre, there's bound to be quite the turnout of artists each month. Big names like Linkin Park will be making an appearance by the end of the Valentine's month, and a quite random appearance by Gossip Girl's Taylor Momsen's band The Pretty Reckless will occur on the most romantic day of the year.

Native at The Underground (Mesa) on Feb. 1. Coors Light Birds Nest featuring OAR at Tournament of Players Club of Scottsdale on Feb. 3. Smith Westerns with Yuck at Rhythm Room (Phoenix) on Feb. 10. Atomic Tom at Martini Ranch (Scottsdale) on Feb. 13. Pete Yorn with Ben Kweller, The Wellspring at Marquee Theatre (Tempe) on Feb. 14. The Pretty Reckless with Runner Runner, A Thousand Horses at Martini Ranch (Scottsdale) on Feb. 14. Monster Energy Outbreak Tour with Rev Theory, Pop Evil, Hail The Villian, The Black Cloud Collective, Aranda at The Clubhouse (Tempe) on Feb. 16. Lucero at The Clubhouse (Tempe) on Feb. 18. Tony Lucca with J. Miller at Marini Ranch (Scottsdale) on Feb. 18. Boyce Avenue with Megan & Liz, Tiffany Alvord at The Duce (Phoenix) on Feb. 19. The White Buffalo with JD Stooks at Yucca Tap Room (Tempe) on Feb. 19. 311 with Katastro at Marquee Theatre (Tempe) on Feb. 22. The Aquabats at The Nile (Mesa) on Feb. 26. An Evening With Rocky Votolato and Matt Pond at Rhythm Room (Phoenix) on Feb. 27. Linkin Park with Circa Survive and Paper Tongues at US Airways Center (Phoenix) on Feb. 28.

Indie

Touring after the release of their December album, "The Wonders of the Younger," Plain White T's are back on the scene and heading to Tempe mid-month. Interpol is sure to produce a packed audience at the Marquee Theatre this week as well.

Little Dragon with Billy Goat at Rhythm Room (Phoenix) on Feb. 1. Wild Nothing with Abe Vigoda, Gospel Claws at Rhythm Room (Phoenix) on Feb. 2. What Laura Says with Kinch, Colorstore, Hot Birds and the Chili Sauce, Dry River Yacht Club, Andrew Jackson Jihad at Rhythm Room (Phoenix) on Feb. 3. The Technicolors with Hooves, Mike Goodrick, Radio Drive By at The Nile (Mesa) on Feb. 4. Interpol with School of Seven Bells at Marquee Theatre (Phoenix) on Feb. 5. Tristen with The Drowning Men, Sweetbleeders at Trunk Space (Phoenix) on Feb. 5. Tennis with Air Waves at Rhythm Room (Phoenix) on Feb. 8. Plain White T's with Parachute, Miggs at Marquee Theatre (Tempe) on Feb. 10. Yip Deceiver (Feat. Davey Pierce of Of Montreal) with La La Lust, Sophia Gunn at Bar Smith (Phoenix) on Feb. 14. Jarrod Gorbel (of The Honorary Title) with Atlantic/Pacific, The Technicolors at Martini Ranch (Scottsdale) on Feb. 15.

Musicals/Comedy Shows

Laughter is in the making as the hilarious "Spamalot" begins its short run at the Orpheum Theatre, followed by Lewis Black's stand-up four days later.

Monty Python's Spamalot at Orpheum Theatre (Phoenix) on Feb. 17-20. 9 to 5, The Musical at Gammage Theatre (Tempe) on Feb. 22-27. Lewis Black at Orpheum Theatre (Phoenix) on Feb. 24 and 25.

R&B

It's time to research and find tickets quickly. John Legend performs free at Gammage Theatre on Feb. 8. The likelihood of these tickets lasting long is slim.

Hip Hop/Rap/Dance

Rave-esque Dayglow Tour, also known as the World's Largest Paint Party, will be coming to Tempe for two days this month. If you enjoy neon colors, progressive tunes, and showers for days, head to the Marquee Theatre late this month.

Das Racist with Jared Alan, Sean Watson, Don Ricardo, Luke Hansen, Charlie Meyer at Brick (Phoenix), Feb. 11. Dayglow Tour featuring Devil From Acapulco with David Solano at Marquee Theatre (Tempe) on Feb. 25. Dayglow Tour featuring The Starkillers with Tranzit at Marquee Theatre (Tempe) on Feb. 26. Bobby Brackins with YG, TY$ at Martini Ranch (Tempe) on Feb. 28.

Ska/Punk/Reggae

We were gifted with Sublime 2.0 last semester, and now we are given their tunes once again. Badfish, a Sublime tribute band, will be heading to the Marquee Theatre with quite the assortment of ska performers.

Badfish (A Tribute to Sublime) with Scotty Don't, 49 Til Midnight, Fayuca, Dub MC at Marquee Theatre (Tempe) on Feb. 12. Tomorrows Bad Seeds with Seedless at Marquee Theatre (Tempe) on Feb. 18. Streetlight Manifesto with Terrible Things,  A Loss for Words at The Nile (Mesa) on Feb.28.

Hardcore

The Nile appears to be showcasing all the metal heads this months. Terrifying band names and intimidating screeches are to be expected in Mesa this month.

Cradle of Filth with Nachtmystium, Turisas, Daniel Lioneye at Marquee Theatre (Tempe) on Feb. 4. Times of Grace with Straight Line Stitch, War of Ages at The Nile (Mesa) on Feb. 7. Haste the Day with MyChildren MyBride, The Chariot, A Plea for Purging at The Nile (Mesa) on Feb. 9. Eluveitie with 3 Inches of Blood, Holy Grail, System Divide at The Nile (Mesa) on Feb. 19.

Classic Rock

The focus of classic rock is centered around the Phoenix Suns home in February. The Valentine's Super Love Jam hosted by US Airways Center has a huge night of throwback tunes for any couple looking to jam together as they celebrate their “super love.”

Delta Nove with Bargrass Revival at Sail Inn (Tempe) on Feb. 10. Valentine's Super Love Jam with Zapp, Deniece Williams, Bloodstone, The Defonics, MC Magic, Peaches and Herb, Sly Slick and Wicked and The Impressions at US Airways Center (Phoenix) on Feb. 11. Robin Trower with CrossTown at Marquee Theatre (Tempe) on Feb. 17. Music of Led Zeppelin Performed by Windborne Symphony at Comerica Theatre (Phoenix) on Feb. 19.

Album Releases

As human nature has it, music is just something to be loved, and there's a necessity to hear more and more. February has an extensive variety of releases this month from our old guilty pleasure, Ricky Martin, to the classic Phil Collins, to the Christian heart-throbs of Hawk Nelson, to our old punk heads Bayside.

Feb. 1 -

The Civil Wars, Barton Hollow Junk Culture, Summer Friends The Dirtbombs, Party store The Go! Team, Rolling Blackouts Tommy Guerrero, Lifeboats And Follies Ricky Martin, Musica + Alma + Sexo Men, Talk About Body George Michael, Faith [Remastered] Red, Until We Have Faces Todd Snider, The Storyteller [Live] Twitch The Ripper, Bodiless Matisyahu, Live at Stubb's Vol. II Phil Collins, No Jacket Required Streets, Computers And Blues

Feb. 8 -

And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead..., Tao of the Dead Emily Arin, Patch of Land Nicole Atkins, Mondo Amore Cut Copy, Zonoscope Esben & The Witch, Violent Cries Lionize, Destruction Manual Motorhead, The World Is Yours Yanni, Truth of Touch Hawk Nelson, Crazy Love Nick Carter, I'm Taking Off

Feb. 14 -

Chamberlain, Bitter Blood PJ Harvey, Let England Shake Gruff Rhys, Hotel Shampoo Mogwai, Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

Feb. 15 -

Beans, End It All Bright Eyes, The People's Key Brown Recluse, Evening Tapestry Cowboy Junkies, Demons The Dears, Degeneration Street Deicide, To Hell With God Devotchka, 100 Lovers Drive-By Truckers, Go-Go Boots Ginuwine, Elgin Rev Theory, Justice Saigon, Greatest Story Never Told Sonic Youth, Simon Werner a Disparu Yuck, Yuck

Feb. 22 -

Adele, 21 Julianna Barwick, The Magic Place The Low Anthem, Smart Flesh Lauren Pritchard, Wasted in Jackson Sean Rowe, Magic Bayside, Killing Time

×