How to: Go Behind the Bar

A month before my 21st birthday, I step behind a makeshift bar, every liquor label imaginable before me and bottles filled with colored water. The next week would prove to be the quickest crash course I’ve ever taken on a subject that I know little about — alcohol.

I made the decision to enroll in the week-long course at Tempe’s Bartending and Casino College when I was having poor luck finding a part-time job with flexible hours. I figured getting my bartending license would give me an edge on those hard-to-come-by restaurant gigs. Plus, the opportunity to become an expert on cocktails and expensive liquor before I was of legal age was too sweet to pass up. Let’s just say I ended the week with a list of drinks I'm dying to try when the big night finally arrives.

During my foray into mixology, I learned to make some eye-popping cocktails that are almost too sexy to sip. Next time you’re thinking of a drink-night in or wondering what to order out, consider one of these blends for a tasty treat.

Purple Cosmo

If you like the taste of a Cosmopolitan but want a different look than the original crimson, try using Blue Curacao instead of Triple Sec. First, chill a large martini glass by filling it with ice and cold water. While that’s cooling, combine one scoop ice, two ounces of vodka, half an ounce cranberry juice and half an ounce Blue Curacao in a martini shaker. Cover and shake eight to 10 times. Empty the martini glass of the ice and water and strain the liquid from the shaker into the chilled glass. Top it with a lemon wedge or twist for a sunny surprise.

Hurricane

If tropical is more your taste, you may want to try this yummy-looking beverage made with rum. Fill a large glass with ice. Next, add one ounce Myers’ Rum and one ounce of light rum (like Bacardi). Fill almost to the top with equal parts orange juice and sweet-and-sour juice. Top it off with half an ounce grenadine, and add an orange or cherry for garnish.

Grasshopper

This creamy creation is a perfect post-dinner delight. Chill a small martini glass the same way as you did for the Cosmo. In a shaker, combine ice, half an ounce Green Crème de Menthe, half an ounce of White Crème de Cacao and one ounce cream or milk. Shake eight to 10 times and strain into the chilled glass. Serve with your favorite dessert for extra indulgence.

For more information about the course I took, visit bartendingandcasinocollege.com.

Reach the reporter at ndgilber@asu.edu

×