Mellow Mushroom Preps for Mill

All the fun of craft beers and quality pizza will soon be at Tempe’s fingertips. Mellow Mushroom, an East Coast-based pizzeria chain currently only serving Arizona in Happy Valley, will open a new location on Mill Avenue, promising to be “refined and better.”

Tom Hyland, general manager of the Happy Valley location, says the restaurant will change things up for the Tempe location with a new theme: graffiti art.

The owners, who signed a 10-year lease in the space previously occupied by Z Gallerie, are aiming for a mid-March opening, though no official date has been set. Located on the corner of Mill Avenue and Seventh Street, the Tempe spot will be Mellow Mushroom's largest to date.

“ASU deserves to have us by them,” says Hyland. “Our beer selection is different but we’ll be catering to [the students] as well as everyone else on Mill.”

Mellow Mushroom will have 45 craft beers on tap, strictly following their motto, “No crap on tap.” But are college students going to be excited about pricier, higher-quality craft beers? Hyland says yes.

Mellow Mushroom’s happy hour specials cut beer prices in half ($3.50), making them affordable, though not as cheap as other bars on Mill.

“It’s all about getting people to try craft beers, even with small margin profits,” says Hyland who admits he prefers quality over quantity — and not just on the beverage menu.

“We’ve got awesome pies that no one has tried before,” says Pasquale Buono, a server that will transfer to the Tempe location. “Our beer is good and our food is great. This isn’t your 5-by-5 [pizza chain] place."

The menu consists of “munchies,” hoagies and salads, but the real kicker is its pizza. “Philosopher’s Pie,” “Kosmic Karma,” “Yukon Gold Hot Potato Pie,” “Fun Guy,” “Thai Dye Pie" and “Magical Mystery Tour” are only a few of the interesting combinations available. There is also a build-your-own option along with vegan toppings.

In order to really appease the college crowd, Mellow Mushroom will be open until 4 a.m. and will offer delivery service.

The Happy Valley location on 2490 W. Happy Valley Road is worth the drive, but Mill Avenue will be a “whole other beast,” says Hyland.

Contact the reporter at apanguia@asu.edu

×