Non-Required Reading: And DC Is Even Worse!

Superboy Punch! Image from Final Crisis by DC Comics.

So, check the last article to see what’s the matter with Marvel comics. Long story short, they’re pretty rough if you wanna catch up, but it’s only five years worth of stories.

DC Comics. Oh, DC comics…

Let’s start from the top. The DC comics mythos revolves around a story from before I was born.

No seriously, the comic Crisis on Infinite Earths came out in 1986. I was -2 years old.

From there, DC’s stories have revolved around the Crisis moniker. There’s been Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, and Final Crisis. Hopefully that’s all done now.

However, the problem still lingers. DC wants to get an audience of younger viewers by using a story from BEFORE THEY WERE BORN.

That’s the problem with both of the big two. They’ve become too big for their own good. They’ve become a boys club, nearly inaccessible to the mainstream.

Add to this the fact that every time someone dies in the DC universe, a new character takes on his mantle. There have literally been FOUR people who have been the Flash. And an entire Green Lantern Corps that consists of hundreds of aliens.

Completely inaccessible.

If you’re looking for more stuff, I expect them to throw in more mini-series as their movies take flight. Green Lantern is the most accessible hero right now, but you kinda have to start with the Sinestro Corps War, which still kind of relies on a story from the '80s.

It’s a bit ridiculous, but if you’ve had over 80 years of stories, you may run out of things to say too.

-Dan

×