Non-Required Reading: How Ryan Reynolds is Saving Green Lantern

Ryan Reynolds as the Green Lantern. Photo courtesy of Entertainment Weekly.

Ryan Reynolds!

Now that I have your attention… this week’s series of posts is really for the ladies.

The picture to the left is really all you need to know about the upcoming movie. Ryan Reynolds will be starring as Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern.

Quick Green Lantern summary: Alien crash lands on Earth, is dying and has special power ring, which is given to Hal Jordan. Jordan, a pilot, now is the “guardian” of this sector of the universe and uses his power ring to manifest literally anything he wants to defeat bad guys. There’s lot and lots of bad guys.

I think the reason this movie has never been made has been a serious issue of special effects. You have a ring that can do absolutely anything, and special effects with strings?  Not going to happen.

But it’s now 2011!  With things like Avatar, we can do anything. Including make bad Pocahontas movie rip-offs. (Burn!)

Ryan Reynolds has a chance to honestly become one of the most important people in DC comic movies history.

When you think of DC, you immediately think of Batman and Superman.  When you think Marvel, you say Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Iron Man or more. Marvel is absolutely ahead of the curve for movies.

So if Green Lantern works, it’s clear that DC is on their way up.  This will be their Iron Man.  It could easily be the big surprise hit of the summer. When I say surprise, I mean above and beyond. It’s an expensive movie with a lot of hype behind it.

I expect it to be a smash, and apparently DC does too. They already planned on a trilogy of movies made right after this movie.

So I guess here’s hoping it doesn’t suck!

Dan

×