Non-Required Reading: Marvel Movie Madness!

The first official image from “the Amazing Spider-man” in costume. Courtesy of bleedingcool.com

So here’s the deal: Marvel (in order to keep their movie-related trademark) is rebooting the Spider-Man franchise.

That’s right, folks, we’re trying again. This time there’s no disco-dancing Tobey McGuire, no excessively singing Kirsten Dunst and no angry he-has-to-put-Venom-in-it director Sam Raimi.

What does that mean for you, the loyal reader/movie watcher?

Well, a couple different things. First of all, I feel like this movie is going to be a little forced.  They’re hoping to get a hold of the movie as being part of Marvel Studios, so they’re going to force it out. I’m afraid this movie will take a huge quality hit.

But then again, it’s not really coming out until next summer, so there’s plenty of time to clean it all up.

Most important is the cast. Andrew Garfield is the new Peter Parker, and hoo-boy, does he look young. He also has gigantic hair (seriously, look at that mane). You might remember him as the guy who you actually liked in "The Social Network." I approve of this casting, because I don’t doubt he can pull off that nerd thing.

Emma Stone is now back to her natural blond hair color to play Gwen Stacy. While I approve of this casting, I’m shocked they’re not using Mary Jane. It’s going to be a blow to mainstream audiences who don’t understand what’s going on.

All in all, I see this being a forced and mediocre movie. I expect them to still make it into a series with sequels, but this may be the weakest of the entire franchise history (and I saw "Spider-Man 3").

-Dan

×