Palm Walk Runway: More Than Just A Frat Shoe

The classic Sperry has come a long way since the classic brown leather. Photo courtesy of SperryTopSider.com.

Now, just by hearing the brand name Sperry, many of you are probably automatically associating the shoe with the “frat guy." However, Sperry Top-Sider boat shoes are going to be making their appearance more often on both guys and girls this spring.

Sperry’s are not a new brand by any means, but with new vibrant and bright colors that stray from the original brown color, the boat shoe is giving spring a whole new meaning.

Although Sperry’s may not be authentic and associated to Arizona, the shoe can give an outfit that preppy and fashion-forward look, and better yet, they are easy to slip off and on.

There is literally a style and color for everyone this season. For women, they are offering everything from a flower pattern, to metallic colors, to plaid and studded boat shoes, to every bright and vibrant color you can think of in patent leather. For those girls who are a little more daring, they even offer the boat shoe in white sequins.

Men have their own array of unique and new styles, however, they are definitely not as daring and colorful as the women’s boat shoes. For men, the popular boat shoe style is the suede or canvas material. The suede boat shoes are really stylish and come in a variety from bright blue to a subtle red.

For girls, Sperry boat shoes look great with that casual romper, or cut-off shorts, and even cuffed Capri pants. As for guys, the boat shoes look fashionable with plaid and khaki shorts or pants. Even for an evening look for both guys and girls, Sperry’s can give you that more casual, preppy look.

Department stores such as Nordstrom or Dillard’s sell the Sperry boat shoes. Even J-Crew sells a few boat shoes to go along with their preppy style. I would even recommend ordering Sperry’s online for more style and size options.

Not only are Sperry Top-Sider boat shoes a spring must-have, but they are also comfortable, which in my book is a definite must when it comes to fashion.

So although Sperry boat shoes do continue their long title as the “frat boy” shoe, ignore the stereotype and welcome the spring in with a new pair of fashion-forward kicks.

×