The Round-Up: Week of Feb. 14

Crime, budgets, taxes, Ellen DeGeneres and guns. Yes, it's been a full week. But that's why we have The Round-Up. You get all your news in a fraction of the time it would take you elsewhere. That's why you come back here every week. Welcome to The Round-Up.

Around ASU

For the fourth straight year, crime, minus homicide, has decreased in Tempe. Overall, crime fell by 6.7 percent. There were twelve homicides reported this year, two of which involved ASU students; Kyleigh Sousa was killed in a robbery attempt last May and Zachary Marco was shot after he was robbed last October.

On Tuesday, Ellen DeGeneres rolled into Tempe to give students a chance to win cash prizes and be on her show. Contestants had to find things that started with the letters A, S and U. The winners wore afros, sunglasses and underwear. They won $5,000.

The University is cutting 29 programs — two undergraduate and 27 graduate programs. About 500 students will be affected by this measure. Though the University will be cutting programs, they will be adding 17 new programs — six undergraduate and 11 graduate programs.

Around Arizona

The Arizona Legislature passed a $538 million tax cut amidst budget deficits, report Caitlin Coakley and Luige del Puerto of Arizona Capitol Times. Labeled as a "jobs bill," the legislation is constructed to entice businesses to come to Arizona. The corporate tax and commercial property tax rates were cut among others.

A bill loosening gun restrictions passed the state Senate Judiciary Committee in a 5-3 vote on Monday, reports Howard Fischer of Capitol Media Services. The legislation would allow for concealed carry on college campuses if the gun owner has a permit. The measure will now face the full Senate.

The so-called 'birther' bill died in committee this week, reports The Associated Press. The bill failed in the state Senate Judiciary Committee on a 3-5 vote. The bill would have required presidential candidates to show their birth certificates.

Around the country

President Obama and House Republicans officially started the budget showdown on Monday, reports David Rogers of Politico. The budget proposal the president has set forth involves a $1.1 trillion deficit reduction over the next decade. His budget is full of spending cuts in most areas except for education, energy and financial regulation. He is seeking increased funding in those areas.

House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, has upped the chances of a government shutdown, report Jack Sherman and John Bresnahan of Politico. Boehner has said the president's budget does not go far enough in spending cuts. The federal government did not pass a budget this fiscal year and will shut down at the beginning of next month should Congress and the president not reach an agreement on a continuing budget resolution.

×