Women’s golf grabs third in Tucson

LINING UP: Freshman Justine Lee takes time to perfect her putting before teeing off at ASU Karsten for a practice round. (Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

The ASU women’s golf team made a strong statement by holding its own on a difficult course and finishing third in the Wildcat Invitational in Tucson on Tuesday.

Leading the team was back-to-back Pac-10 champion junior Carlota Ciganda, who finished tied for sixth individually and carried the team to finish ahead of conference rivals Stanford, Oregon State and Washington.

The only teams that finished ahead of the Sun Devils were UA and California, both of which are ranked in the top 10 of the Golf World/National Golf Coaches Association (NGCA) Coaches Poll.

For a team that competed with three freshman and no seniors, it was clear the Sun Devils made an impression.

“A lot of people didn’t expect us to be good,” ASU coach Melissa Luellen said. “[They played] very tough and very competitive.”

Another important aspect was the consistent play of all the ASU women.

Every other team had at least one player who finished worse than 37th place except for the Sun Devils. Junior Giulia Molinaro, who ended up tied for 31st, was the lowest finisher for ASU.

The highest score any Sun Devil shot on a round was a 6-over-par 78, whereas every other team had at least one score over 80.

The course was very demanding, as five players from other teams shot a round in the 90s. This could have been a result of course conditions, for which Luellen had prepared, and the onset of strong winds on the last day.

“As a team they were ready,” Luellen said. “I was really impressed how they just stayed in it.”

This helped the team finish its third round with a total stroke score of 303. The score was good enough for a three-way tie for first out of all the competitors for that round.

Consistency was what kept the golf team near the leader board. It doesn’t get any more consistent then the three straight 3-over-par 75 rounds that freshman Daniela Ordonez recorded.

Ordonez actually fought back to finish the event tied for 15th after she triple-bogeyed her first hole of the tournament.

“She didn’t panic, she knew the game plan and she kept fighting,” Luellen said. “She has an amazing touch around the green, and I think she doesn’t give herself enough credit.”

Ordonez and fellow Colombian freshman Laura Blanco both did well in their ASU debuts, finishing one stroke apart from each other, with Blanco finishing tied for 17th.

The other ASU player making her debut was freshmen Justine Lee, who finished tied for 22nd.

A challenging aspect of the tournament was the schedule. Because it was held only on Monday and Tuesday, players had to complete two rounds on the first day.

“To try and focus and concentrate for 11 to 12 hours: It’s a lot to ask of a human being,” Luellen said.

Reach the reporter at jjmckelv@asu.edu

×