Non-Required Reading: Spider-Man on Broadway

No seriously, that’s what this is supposed to look like. Image courtesy of Vogue Magazine.

With the last posts before spring break, we’re all concerned about our last tests before we get out of here. So, what I’m going to provide is all the failure of one potentially great idea so you can get failure out of your system before you destroy those tests!

Does my backwards logic make sense? Moving on…

"Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" is an interesting idea, to say the least. Julie Taymor (that crazy director of "The Lion King" on Broadway and the movie "Across the Universe") was attached to direct the musical about the web-slinger, and Bono and the Edge (of U2 fame) would provide the music.

What could possibly go wrong?

Oh God, so many many things. It is already well over $25 million in debt. They’re going to need to sell out the show for years just to make up what they’ve already lost.

I refuse to blame Taymor for her ideas. She is a very visual director who has a million good ideas to work with. She knows how to design sets, and from what I’ve seen, they’re absolutely beautiful. They give the audience a unique perspective into the changing angles and flips of Spidey.

On the other hand, from what I’ve heard of her plot, they’re totally screwed. It seems that she is putting “lipstick on a pig.” (How dated was THAT reference???) She’s ignoring the ideas of how Spidey came to be and instead, relying on weird spider crap that I can’t even explain.

As of this writing, it’s rumored she’s been fired, or quit, or in some way has been let go, so that’s just going to make it worse. The production has already been pushed back several times, and it just keeps piling up.

Next time: why Bono just makes it worse.

-Dan

×