Other than Ramen: The Edible Gift of Candy Grams

Candy gram for the “Today Show” hosts. Photo by Gabriela Rodiles.

Ever heard of a candy gram? You might recall a scene from the movie "Mean Girls" as holiday candy cane grams are handed out in class. “Four for you, Glen Coco. You go, Glen Coco.”

Candy grams can also tell a story or say a message on poster board with the incorporation of a variety of candy bars and other sweets. Using a little creativity and cleverness, the titles add a hilarious flair to sentences.

Is your BFF’s birthday approaching? Why not surprise him or her by making a candy gram that will not only be a hit at the party, but will also satisfy a sweet tooth!

Here is an example of what it could sound like: Happy 2-Zero, Whatchamacallit! Oh wait, I mean (name). Want to celebrate with a shopping Spree in New York? Don’t be a Nerd or Airhead. Remember to cherish the mo-Mentos of Carefree days. I really Skored with an Extra special friend like you. You are so M-Azing and quite a lifesaver. Mounds of Kisses, (your name here).

In my family, no celebration was complete without a candy gram, whether it was a birthday, wedding anniversary, or trip to the “Today Show” in New York City (the candy gram my aunts made and presented to the hosts Matt, Katie, Anne and Al is pictured to the left).

To make this crafty item, run to the store and grab about 15 or so candies with fun titles, one or two poster boards, some markers and tape. Using the titles of the candy you bought, write the story first on your computer so you can rearrange and play around with the order of what you want to say. Then, use your marker to write out the message and tape the candy in wherever necessary.

Have fun, channel your creative juices, and don’t be afraid to be a little silly. You’ll feel like you’ve hit a Payday when you hear Snickers from the people reading it. No matter what the occasion, the gift of a candy gram is worth more than 100 Grand.

×