Outside company to take over ASU Bookstores

CHEAP READS: Customers browse through the sidewalk book sale outside of the ASU Bookstore. ASU has recently decided to outsource the management of its campus bookstores to Follett Higher Education Group. (Photo by Rosie Gochnour)

ASU has hired an outside company to take over management of campus bookstores starting as early as May.

Details are not final, but Follett Higher Education Group is scheduled to assume management duties of ASU Bookstores on May 16, following the end of the spring semester and textbook buyback.

ASU has always managed its bookstores as an independent company, said ASU communications manager Michael Hegarty. The change, he said, is expected to bring more low-cost textbook options to students.

“Because it’s independent, we’re limited,” Hegarty said. “We’re very proud of what we’ve done to manage the bookstores, but as the industry grows through technology and other aspects, we feel this gives us a greater … ability to increase what we can offer students.”

Follett was selected from several companies as the one best able to serve the ASU community, Hegarty said. Follett currently manages close to 900 campus bookstores across North America.

According to an ASU press release, the new company will offer more rental and digital options and could potentially offer textbook scholarships as well.

Hegarty said the University picked Follett to manage the bookstores because of the company’s focus on affordability for students and faculty.

Student and faculty employees will have the option to keep their jobs for at least one year, Hegarty said. After that, employment decisions will fall to Follett as well.

Although an informational meeting was held for student employees, many said they still don’t know what to expect.

A Tempe bookstore employee and marketing sophomore Andrew Reardon said he plans to remain on staff.

“I’m excited to see the new changes,” he said. “I don’t know a lot about the new [low-cost] options though.”

Both ASU administration and Follett President Thomas Christopher said they look forward to the start of the partnership.

“We are privileged to have been selected to provide bookstore services to Arizona State University," Christopher said in a press release. "We are fully committed to using all our resources to provide the products and services that will enhance the academic mission of the University and support all aspects of campus life.”

Reach the reporter at keshoult@asu.edu

×