Palm Walk Runway: Suit Up

So many tops and bottoms to mix and match.

All right, it is time to ditch the late night snacks, grab water instead of a soda, and hit the gym everyday until the long awaited spring break. We have all made it to the halfway point in the semester and it is time to celebrate—with bathing suit season, of course.

With all of our new in-shape bodies, it is finally time to show them off. It is completely understandable if you are struggling to find the perfect style for your body type. But have no fear because I am here to guide you through the process.

Now, first you must realize that all of our bodies are not perfect like the bathing suit models on Victoria’s Secret website. Instead, some of us are much smaller on top than bottom, or vice versa, or some of us have a little bit of everything. Either way, we all have unique bodies and it can be difficult trying to find the perfect swimsuit.

I am first going to start with different top sizes and work my way down from there. For those of you who are smaller on top, you are the luckiest ones right now for swimsuit fashion. You are able to pull of the cute, ruffled tops that are very in right now. I also recommend looking for tops with a bit of padding, or underwire, demi-bra style. This look will give you that petite, bust line. If you also find a top with adjustable straps at the shoulders and around your back, this will help to lift and tighten things. You want to try to avoid tops with too much fabric or that do not fit properly, because this will almost give your top a smaller appearance.

For those of you who may be bigger on top, you are going to want to look for underwire tops to help give you that extra support. Halter-top bikinis are also a great look and fit for you. If the halter has a band around the midriff this will allow you to make more adjustments and give you a better fit. I recommend avoiding strapless bandeau tops and smaller tri-tops.

I know that myself and many other people avoid the dreaded bathing suit bottoms, especially when your bottom is bigger than your top. However, do not fear because there are styles of bottoms that are very flattering for this figure. A very new, stylish bottom is the mini-skirted bikini. If you go for a smooth, skirt that is short but has enough coverage. I also recommend going for a bottom that has a 3-inch side. Always avoid too much detail and pattern on the bottom, leave that for the top. This will help draw attention more towards your top and de-emphasize the bottom. Also, avoid boy shorts and skimpy bottoms.

Now, if you have no waist or little curves at all there are ways of creating that allusion. You can definitely pull of the stylish one-piece suit with a high thigh cut. Also, a belted waistline on a one-piece will give an appearance of hips. You can also pull off bikinis especially ones with embellishments, such as rings, ruffles, or bows. If you have a smaller top go for a strapless bandeau, and solid dark bottoms.

There are many more different body types out there, however, if you can start with a style of a top and a bottom you will be in good shape. Remember, no one’s body is perfect, and the most important thing is to feel comfortable while wearing your suit. So, do be daring, but also wear what is most comfortable for you.

×