Sun Devil athletics on the rise

Congratulations to national champion wrestlers Bubba Jenkins and Anthony Robles.  No athlete represents ASU better than Robles.

The softball team also deserves recognition for its 30-2 start.  The team looks very promising behind pitcher Dallas Escobedo.

Given ASU’s vapid fan support, such laudations should be blared over loudspeakers every morning on all campuses, loud enough to blow ear buds off — middle school style. It’s time for student pride to be shoved down the throats of tuition-payers.

It’s an interesting time for us attention-payers.

The ASU baseball team has yet to hear back from the NCAA regarding its appeal of penalties that included a post-season ban in 2011.  If a ruling isn’t rendered on the appeal in the next couple months, ASU will be eligible for the post-season this year.

Given that this is ASU’s second infraction in the last five years, it’s unlikely the original ruling will be overturned. Some would argue that, given the amount of underclassman on the current team, it would be in the program’s best interest to be penalized this year and not next.

Although, as is the case almost every year, there is much uncertainty regarding how many ASU players get drafted and how many decide to return to improve their status.

Despite postseason uncertainty and the traumatic injury to Cory Hahn, the team has lost just four games this year and will soldier on into Pac-10 play starting Friday.

For the first time in a long time, the ASU football team is dealing with very little uncertainty at the quarterback position heading into 2011.

ASU starts its spring practices this week. With the retirement of Steven Threet and the moving-on of “Renaissance man” Samson Szakacsy, soon-to-be junior Brock Osweiler will go into camp as the undisputed starter.

ASU athletics posted a transcribed interview with Dennis Erickson, who made some interesting comments about the team heading into spring practices. Erickson revealed that last year’s quarterback competition negatively affected Osweiler.

“We can talk about how (quarterback competition) is good and gives you depth and you like the competition, but eventually you’ve got to make a decision,” Erickson said. “Whoever, the quarterback that doesn’t win that thing, it hurts them. I think it affected Brock, no question about it.”

That’s an interesting comment when coupled with the stories now being told about Osweiler’s leadership.

According to a transcribed interview between offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone and Arizona Republic reporter Doug Haller, Mazzone claimed that the highlight of 2010 occurred when Osweiler gathered up both the offense and defense on the sideline against Arizona and delivered a pep talk, inspiring the comeback.

There was a perception last year that Osweiler’s practice habits and enthusiasm were lacking until the prospect of starting became likely. It seems Osweiler is a little complicated, and while his gritty performance against UA deserves recognition, the difference between his play against UCLA and UA couldn’t be starker.

While there are plenty of great storylines, Osweiler’s ability to lead and improve his accuracy and mechanics are the most important questions heading into one of the most important seasons in ASU football in quite some time.

Reach the reporter at nruland@asu.edu

×