It’s April, and at my house that means the Masters.

The annual tournament at Augusta National is one of the oldest and most prestigious competitions in the United States.

Last year, Phil Mickelson made the tournament one of the most exciting in history after storming back during the final round to take the green jacket. His gorgeous shot on the 13th from behind a tree was amazing.

However, most people I talk to complain that watching the Masters will put them to sleep. And my response is, that’s the whole point.

All the commentators talk in soft, baritone voices. In between the action, shots of beautiful flowers and majestic trees slowly melt into one another as a grand piano gently unfolds a soft melody. And to cap it all off, throughout the broadcast birds tweet and the wind whispers through the trees as the gallery quietly applauds each shot.

It’s an extremely successful exercise in relaxation. Anyone who hasn’t fallen asleep at some point during the Masters is either an insomniac or not human.

I always stay awake for the final day, because Sunday is when the best action takes place.

On Saturday, however, there’s a 90 percent chance I’ll be sound asleep in my La-Z-Boy.

Enjoy your weekend.

Reach the napper at egrasser@asu.edu

×